• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oxyacetylene System

cherokee Wheeler10

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at getting an oxyactylene system i am a newbie when it comes to welding and cutting but would like to get a system that will meet all my welding and cutting needs for my jeep. which route is better Buying a regulator hoses and torch kit for like 160 and renting large bottles till i can aford to buy or getting a small kit like this
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100054748

will that able to do everything i would want to (bumpers, rockers, Syspension)

Thanks for the help

lthough im no welder im sure your going to hear people tell you gas welding aint the way to go tig/mig are where its at oxy/ace ok for cutting but plasma cutters have come way down in price too sorry to burst your bubble

Yeah,cutting yes,welding forget it!

My main goal is for cutting and i cant afford a grand on a plasma cutter.. and a oxyacetylene system will do my cutting but i can also weld so.... that is why i was leaning toward that.... more bang for my buck....

You can weld with OXY/Acetylene without much trouble. It's just takes time to learn how.

It's main purpose is cutting, but it was also used for welding before arc welders came along.....

Bottle rentals are cheap if you plan on having the setup for a long time you might buy. With the cost of retals every month it would take a couple years to pay for a single bottle.

If you aren't going to weld you can use propane instead of acetylene, it's a lot cheaper & more user friendly.No modifications, just use a tank of propane. A lot of bigger shops use propane for cutting. Rental tanks are a simple way to go.

i have never seen welding done with torches.... ive seen brazing on copper with a torch....
procedure | tool needed
Welding = welder
Cutting = torch/plasma cutter/chopsaw

I have welded with the torch, it takes some learning though.

If you have TIG welded, you can easily learn to gas weld....

It's the same basic concept of feeding the wire with one hand and controlling the heat with the other hand.....

My dad taught me to gas weld before he taught me to arc weld. My first taste of TIG welding was in Auto Tech classes, before that it was all with an old ass arc welder and 6011 or 6013 rods....

I has also used a MIG (AKA Wire feed) welder, the learning curve for it is easy......

_MURDERED OUT_ said:
i have never seen welding done with torches.... ive seen brazing on copper with a torch....
procedure | tool needed
Welding = welder
Cutting = torch/plasma cutter/chopsaw
you can weld with a torch. you use filler rod and use similar techniques as used with brazing. welding with a torch is easier than brazing, however it still takes some practice to get the hang of it.

edit: he beat me to it.

I learned how to weld with oxy-acetylene, after that TIG welding was simple. Learning how to controll the heat and the puddle for perfect penetration is crutial to a strong weld. Before we could even start welding in my class we had to take a piece of 1/16th steel and walk a puddle for 4 straight inches three times with complete penetration and no burn throughs. I wouldnt want to do any production weldig with a torch though, thats what a mig welder is for.
Torches can also be used to aid in removing siezed bolts and pipe thread plugs. I've seen a torch used to get a broken easy out of an engine block without damaging the threads in the block (5/16-18 thread). I'm going to be buying a 220 Mig welder and a oxy-acetylene setup for home before winter, probably a Smith torch set.

~Alex

Back