• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve cover

jeepinairman

NAXJA Forum User
i have looked around the net ...havent called the local shops for fear of costs..

anyone know a good place to get a valve cover for a decent price for an 89 4.0..

i changed my gasket twice in 2 years and its still leaking......i was under the impression my rear main was leaking till i got in and investigated more...seems to be the valve cover and the o rings in the filter neck...so i figure i need to get a new valve cover

OH..anyone got a good part number for that too...the dealership told me it dont come in a kit and i have seen a write up somewhere where they had an oring replacement kit for it in a mopar parts bag..
thanks..

I don't recall the part number for the filter o-rings, but are you sure you need a new valve cover? It's depressingly easy to crush the gasket for it, if you're not careful...

I've covered replacing the thing a few times, and I've not got leaks, so I'm fairly sure my procedure is working. If you can't find it with search, let me know and I'll cover it again...

5-90

right on....i will check out some search and let you konw if i dont find anything...

the only reason i am pressing this issue is the oil is starting to drip.....not just seep...i can see it dripping even right after i park.....gettin kinda sad for me...lol..

i prolly did crush it......usually when i am workin on the jeep all reason and sanity goes out the window cause the damn this is so old and nothing wants to go on or come off right.....lol.

Try Mako Offroad for the "O" rings, they are cheap, think I paid $3.99 for the set. Try this part#33002970K. You can also try just4jeeep.com I think they are $2.31.

5-90 said:
I hear you - I've got an 87, an 88, and three 89's.

Still, I like working on them more than pretty much every other vehicle I've ever owned - save possibly my old 1966 Bug (that I still kick myself every now and again for selling...)

5-90

haha...i think i have seen you mention that bug on here more than once..lol

isnt mako offroad the ones on ebay?

Get a 96+ stamped steel valve cover from somewhere. They can usually be had cheap on eBay or from your local junkyard. They don't warp and they use a composite gasket that doesn't leak a drop of oil. I have one on my '90, it looks and works great!

BigBlackHeep said:
Get a 96+ stamped steel valve cover from somewhere. They can usually be had cheap on eBay or from your local junkyard. They don't warp and they use a composite gasket that doesn't leak a drop of oil. I have one on my '90, it looks and works great!

If you say so - I still use the cast covers. They haven't warped (I tend to prefer cast over stamped - thicker flanges) and they don't leak, once I get to them.

It may take me a little longer to change a valve cover gasket than most other people, but most of the time is spent waiting for sealants to "tack up," and the damn things don't leak when I'm done...

5-90

5-90 said:
If you say so - I still use the cast covers. They haven't warped (I tend to prefer cast over stamped - thicker flanges) and they don't leak, once I get to them.

It may take me a little longer to change a valve cover gasket than most other people, but most of the time is spent waiting for sealants to "tack up," and the damn things don't leak when I'm done...

5-90
Dude I would be the last one to argue with you the cast ones are definitely nice when they aren't warped, I just tend to be a fan of new parts. The 96+ is just a nice cover because you don't have to use sealant of any kind and the gasket doesn't shift to get in the way of the bolt holes (although I guess if you "tack" it right it wouldn't anyway) I also like the bigger CCV lines as an added bonus.

BigBlackHeep said:
Dude I would be the last one to argue with you the cast ones are definitely nice when they aren't warped, I just tend to be a fan of new parts. The 96+ is just a nice cover because you don't have to use sealant of any kind and the gasket doesn't shift to get in the way of the bolt holes (although I guess if you "tack" it right it wouldn't anyway) I also like the bigger CCV lines as an added bonus.

No real argument here - although I'm just old enough to really prefer cork gaskets over rubber. Once you get them installed right (it does take a certain touch...) and you be sure to get them good and wet once a week, they won't leak.

The biggest problem I've ever had with cork gaskets is letting them sit - they'll dry out and shrink, and you're putting a new one in. I've seen this with composition gaskets as well, but to a lesser extent. I think it's common to all gaskets.

It's also nice having a ground straightedge to check surfaces with...

5-90

I cheat. I glue the stupid things on with weather strip adhesive. The gasket stays in place, cover stays in place, and best of all, NO LEAKS. However, on the downside, next time that you have to pull the cover off, you might need a good razor blade. Still beats having the darn thing leak.

hmm..

i was looking at the new valve covers cause they can be had new cheaper than my 89 for some reason...*at least thats what i found*

i have never heard of anyone using weather stipping adhesive......might be a good idea just to get it to quit for a bit till i can get in there and really fix it...

i am gettin ready to take a trip to tx and worried about the amount of oil i am loosing.....so i guess for a "quick fix" the adhesive would work but usually
when i try a "quick fix" it goes all to hell before i can really fix it..

think i might just got and get a gasket tommorrow and read some searches and see what i can find about 5-90s stuff he uses to tack these things on...lol

jeepinairman said:
think i might just got and get a gasket tommorrow and read some searches and see what i can find about 5-90s stuff he uses to tack these things on...lol

LocTite #518, "Gasket Eliminator." Great stuff - longer work and better gap-filling ability than RTV - I use it for really difficult jobs, or stuff that I just don't want to have to do again anytime soon... RTV can do the job, but I'm cranky (a valve cover gasket, to me, is not a "mainteance item" like an axle cover is...)

5-90

5-90 said:
LocTite #518, "Gasket Eliminator." Great stuff - longer work and better gap-filling ability than RTV - I use it for really difficult jobs, or stuff that I just don't want to have to do again anytime soon... RTV can do the job, but I'm cranky (a valve cover gasket, to me, is not a "mainteance item" like an axle cover is...)

5-90

thanks man ...i will go and check out autozone tommorrow and see if they have that stuff........

jeepinairman said:
thanks again....pm me if you happen upon it....
Man I've looked and looked for that thing. I've got to go and check one more of my buildings at my other property and see if it's in there...I know its laying around here somewhere if I wasn't looking for it I proabably break my toe on it or something...

Back