• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wj Front Disc swap ?

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
Ive read a lot of good info on the swap, and I think I have most of it down. The only question I really have left is what to use for Rotors. Since WJs are 5 on 5 I'm not sure if it would be possible to redrill the Rotors for 5 on 4.5, seems to me like the holes would be a little close. Does anyone know of a stock 5 on 4.5 rotor that would work.

Redrilling the WJ rotors is no big deal. There is plenty of room for the 5 on 4.5. I just finished this last week. The brakes are awsome!! I went with some Summit Racing drilled and slotted rotors and some green stuff pads. It made a huge difference. Now I just need to work the bugs out of the steering stuff.

jwtrapper said:
Redrilling the WJ rotors is no big deal. There is plenty of room for the 5 on 4.5. I just finished this last week. The brakes are awsome!! I went with some Summit Racing drilled and slotted rotors and some green stuff pads. It made a huge difference. Now I just need to work the bugs out of the steering stuff.

I absolutely need new steering right?

what all do you need for the new steering, I have heard a TJ tracbar, but are there any other readily available parts, or will it all be custom. I have had the wj pieces for a year now.

I'm not 100% sure but from what I recall, the front rotors from an Explorer Sport-Trac are roughly the same diameter as the WJ rotors (12") and are 5 on 4.5 as opposed to 5 on 5 so they SHOULD work but don't quote me :) HTH

x2, something about 2001-2003 Exp Spt Track rotors seems to be sticking in my mind too....I know I have it written down somewhere....

Last edited:
Guys use the sport track rotors with the Warn 5x4.5 hub kit. You probably want to stick with the WJ ones. Having run OEM and the summet drilled ones, I'd go OEM.

I don't recall, but I think the axle I'm picking up has the WJ steering. I already have a nice tie-rod that take abuse so that will kinda suck but I need the brakes. I'll probably look into something custom for the steering maybe go OTK.

WaXJ_Skier said:
I don't recall, but I think the axle I'm picking up has the WJ steering. I already have a nice tie-rod that take abuse so that will kinda suck but I need the brakes. I'll probably look into something custom for the steering maybe go OTK.

What axle are you picking up? You can't use the WJ steering links, you CAN use the tie rod ends and drag link ends, but they are also likely worn out.

JKS sells most of what you need.

I used chevy tierod ends and built my own tierod and draglink and rebuilt my track bar. I used 1.5 od 1" id dom tubing. I like the way it turned out. I had a machine shop ream out my knuckles for me. After I had it together I then noticed that they reamed them like the factory from the bottom up and I wanted them the other way. So now I have to take them back off and take them back into them so they can fix it. Then I will have the high steer. It works good now but I want to get the tierod up out of the way.

Yep the 2001 Explorer Sport trac Rotors work good. This is what I was told By FrankZ who did his. That is what I bought for mine, Still in the process of collecting parts.:gonnablow

Back