• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brakes when cold or wet.

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
pk when my brakes get wet or cold the work great. if you hit the peddle they will lock up nicely. but then after a couple stops that lock up ability vanishes. i have a new master cylinder and pads and shoes.

i was just wondering. its strange tho it doesn't do it in the rain. but if you spray them with the hose.

Mine do the same thing. Sorry I can't offer any advice on any of it, but just figured I'd relate to the issue. :D

Got the same thing that happens to my rears usually in the mornings... It's always funny when coming to a stop sign with a jogger crossing the road and you lock up doing 10mph...

Oddly enough, I think I've seen this before. It was caused by someone "getting on" the brakes within about 500 miles of a change, before the pads were bedded...

Fix? Try taking the pads out, breaking the surface with sandpaper or emery cloth (80-120 grit should work) or a fine cut flat bastard file (double-cut if you have it, and only if you're sure of yourself! A file is rather more aggressive...) and reinstall. Hit the rotors with Scotch-Brite wheels if they seem glazed as well - it's a possibility.

Glazing on the pads or rotors will cause them to retain heat, meaning you'll get "brake fade" that much quicker. Wetting them down will help them cool, until the water evapourates - and you can direct a hose (rain doesn't usually get on things undercar, unless you drive through a puddle.)

TAKE IT EASY the first 500 miles or so - and the first time you drive it after doing a brake job, you'll want to do some long, slow, gruadual stops while "feathering" the brake pedal to heat up the pads - but not overheat them. I usually pick a carpark downstreet, and just orbit the thing a couple of times, not applying the brakes for more than about two seconds (and getting off of them 3-5 seconds.)

Do that for about ten minutes, and then slowly increase to a full stop from street speeds (but not a "panic" stop - smooth and even. If people honk at you, wave back.)

Granted, this isn't like "pre-bedding" on a brake dyno, but it helped with friction logevity with an old girlfriend I had - she drove an automatic with both feet, and I did brakes (four wheels' worth!) every eight or nine months...

If they're glazed, you can save them. If they're cracked, replace them - even if you break the glaze, they'll usually "chunk off" when you try to re-bed them, or at the first time you have to panic stop...

5-90

i think my rotors are glazed really bad. as for the pads i would have never thought. but it is the rears that lock and you can feel the difference. but why the rears. and is the way above usable for drums???

i am anixously waiting on the answer to this also as mine do the same thing

usually just in the morning or when its raining ...im the morning..lol.......dont know why....after a couple of very light pedals though it stops.......

i dont know why..its done that since i got it 3 years ago........just something i deal with...lol...like alot of things on the jeep

yes same here would love to get those results at any time. going up to school and screach side ways i a spot and park it nicely. i cant even get the e-brake to lock up the wheels. maybe there out of spec? but how could it be.

If the handbrake doesn't work, it's an adjustment problem (first,) lining/drum wear (second,) or cable stretch (third.) Since handbrake cable stretch is fairly rare, I'd check the other two first.

However, bear in mind that most of your braking, under normal circumstances, takes place up front - so if I have trouble with brake function in general, I'll start by looking at the front axle.

5-90

but why do they lock up in the morning. and they do it so easily. there must be a way. whose cheaper for drums if i have to get them napa. autozone.

For the hair trigger locking up when wet or starting out, try manually adjusting the rear drums. In my experience this happens when one or both of the self-adjusters stops working. Adjusting the brakes good and tight by hand seems to be the most reliable cure. All my XJ's have had this problem. I really don't like the design of those self adjusters. Polite forum posting rules forbid me to express in concise terms my opinion of those self adjusters. :gonnablow

Matthew Currie said:
For the hair trigger locking up when wet or starting out, try manually adjusting the rear drums. In my experience this happens when one or both of the self-adjusters stops working. Adjusting the brakes good and tight by hand seems to be the most reliable cure. All my XJ's have had this problem. I really don't like the design of those self adjusters. Polite forum posting rules forbid me to express in concise terms my opinion of those self adjusters. :gonnablow

True enough - they tend to get caked up with dust and whatever is used to lubricate them. I have had better luck using dry graphite, and I've seen some Teflon/MoS2 coatings I plan to experiement with later as well - keep brakes DRY.

Before buying drums, have yours checked. If they can be turned, you're only looking at $10-15, vice the cost of a new drum...

5-90

tagging along on this one. When the temp is cold they're super grabby. When the temp is warm, they're mushy as heck. Will check the suggestions, thanks!

did a search and came across this thread. im gunna pull them apart tommorrow and "adjust" the adjusters and give them a good cleaning hopfully that will help. is this a super common thing for the xjs? btw mine is a 99......... is it only happening on certian years?

i drove my freinds jeep and it did the same thing a few months back, he replaced all the brakes and it didnt do it agian, he also has a 99. maybe mine just needs a good cleaning

You can also adjust the rears while in park by pulling the hand brake up and releasing it about 30-40 times. Dont yank on it like you would a breaker bar, but just go through the motions about that many times and it should do the trick. I usually do this about every 3 or 4 months and my jeep doesnt nose dive or lock up at start in the mornings...

It has however done this after a rain or snow after drying and having a bit of rust build up overnight, causing the first or second quick grab when braking...but not very often.

Cory

5-90 said:
I don't have any trouble (all RENIX,) but I do keep my brakes bled, change the fluid whole every two years, and try to keep things adjusted.

Could be just me...

5-90

regular adjustment is key.
Self adjusters don't work, period.
I did an axle swap labor day weekend, all new brake hardware including adjusters, with the exception of the drums.
3 months later, the passenger side adjuster had already failed and was stuck.
I adjust the rear brakes when I change the oil, and I can feel in the pedal when they need adjusted.
Poorly adjusted rear brakes should not cause the pedal to be mushy, it will cause the pedal travel to be farther.
So you'll end up using half the stroke of the master to expand the rear drums, then the brakes will get very firm as the fronts engage.

Back