• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frt D30/D40 hybrid conversion

TNT

Seasoned Veteran
I just found this while seaching for 9" parts. I thought I would share. It's probably a repost but I'm sure not everyone knows about it.

It looks like a good upgrade for many people. Real brakes, lockouts or driveplates can be used and true steering choices.

New off-road knuckles! Transform late model Jeep Dana 30 axles from junk into gold by bolting Dana 44 "outers" onto new hybrid Dana 30 - 44 knuckles.

http://www.reidracing.biz/DANA30.php

DANA30JEEP1.jpg

DANA30JEEP2.jpg

DANA30JEEP3.jpg

http://www.reidracing.biz/DANA30.php

Model D30001JL (left)
Model D30001JR (right)
JEEP Heavy Duty Flat Top Dana 30 / Rubicon Knuckles

The new Dana 30 / Rubicon 44 knuckle will transform late model Jeep axles into true contenders. The Reid knuckle adapts these axles to use early style Chevy & Jeep Dana 44 "outers". Early outers use tapered roller bearings eliminating the problematic unit bearings and allows standard lockout hubs to be used. Bigger brakes, more lug pattern options, and better aftermarket support come along as part of the conversion. The knuckles are also flat topped and drilled for high steer arm use.

Uses stock pre-1987 Dana 44 Chevy or Jeep spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, stub shafts, and lockouts.
Fits YJ, TJ, XJ, WJ, ZJ, and MJ Dana 30 axles and TJ Rubicon Dana 44 axles.
Easy bolt-on installation with no machining required.
Aftermarket high strength stub shafts and lockouts can be used.
Eliminates wimpy non-serviceable unit bearings.
Adds conventional lockout hubs.
Better fuel economy and less wear and tear when in 2 wheel drive.
More lug patterns available including 5x5.5, 6x5.5, and 8x6.5.
Cast from high strength ductile iron.
Beefed up with extra material and ribbing.
Flat tops machined and drilled for high steer arms, all angle corrections milled directly into the knuckle.
Cast-in DUAL steering stops eliminate bent stop bolts that can cause u-joint and axle failures.
Tapered tie rod holes accept factory tie rod ends.
Tie rod holes can be drilled to accept 3/4" heim ends.
Powder coated bright orange for long lasting looks.
Machined to clear CTM u-joints without removing the grease fittings.

Just sharing. :wave1:

Last edited:
so it just furthers your d30 weakness to the r&p as the weak link....esp if you swap to ctms with 30slipe chromos....but still a pretty neat swap.

256offroad said:
so it just furthers your d30 weakness to the r&p as the weak link....esp if you swap to ctms with 30spline chromos....but still a pretty neat swap.

I would do the swap on my next DD XJ I get. That combined with rear ZJ brakes would give it some real braking power. I don't wheel my DD too hard so I could run stock shafts with 760 joints with full circle snap rings.

The improved braking power would be great and make it a safer ride.

The lockouts will help fuel economy too.

A D44 to donate parts is about $100.00 to buy.

I would gladly pay the price for the added safety.

yeah that makes since....

I'd be interested in something like this if it could use unit bearings.

True high steer and really big brakes would be nice...even though my drag link is flat with the Tera knuckle.

I'm ok with replacing unit bearings every 190,000 miles.

Ever been with anyone on the trail at night when they had to take their hubs apart?

Ever seen someone's hubs where they've stuck out too far and gotten chunks knocked off on rocks?

Unit bearings "FTW".

Then use 75-79 Dodge W100-W150, Ramcharger or Trailduster D44 knuckles hubs, unit bearings and brakes. No lockouts to stick out and they are 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.

TNT said:
Then use 75-79 Dodge W100-W150, Ramcharger or Trailduster D44 knuckles hubs, unit bearings and brakes. No lockouts to stick out and they are 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.
and they dont work with Phil's d30... :rolleyes:

Back