• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tough trucks build pics and write up

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday me and a couple buddies set out to get my xj ready for tough trucks. This is what we started with, a 1991 xj 4dr 4.5 inch lift 33 12.5's 355k on 4.0

DSC04363.jpg

DSC04367.jpg

The main idea is to remove all non essential parts to boost the power to weight ratio. We started with the interior, we left nothing but a loom of wires, the driver seat, driver seat belt, and the steering wheel.

DSC04411.jpg

DSC04415.jpg

DSC04412.jpg

Next came the exterior parts. This is where it gets tricky, seeings how i will be jumping, and it is likely that I could roll, I didn't want to compromise the strength of the unibody. We removed all the windows except the windshield. All the flares are gone. trimmed the fenders and shed some weight off the tail gate. even the roof rack is extra weight.

DSC04409.jpg

DSC04410.jpg

DSC04416.jpg

DSC04417.jpg

The air box and coolant bottle, washer fluid and some vacume lines are not needed either. The resulting pile of crap makes you think how cheap cars would be if they only had the necessities.

DSC04422.jpg

the result is a jeep with 355k that will do cookies with 33 12.50's and stock 3.55 gears.

cookies? are you gonna protect that rad with anything?

why dont you chop the body and build a rollcage for it? it'll be the same weight probably, and make it alot safer for you.

or at least make a cage around your drivers area.

looks like a deathtrap to me man. the body and sheetmetal frame aren't made for jumping, or rolling, or racing.

if you hit anything with that front end, even the ground, your whole car is going to be fucked. and probably your back.

you only get one body, i wouldn't want to tear it up like that.

I think a roll cage is a good idea but I would also do something to protect that rad just in case you hit that front hard.

IH8RDS said:
The windshild is already cracked. I would remove it and put in lexan or expanded metal

i was thinking the same thing, but the windshield has alot to do wiht the survivability of a rollover, but a nice piece of 1/4in expanded metal would probably save the day here.

If you really want to cut down alot of weight build a cage to protect the front seat area then chop the top off and remove all 4 doors plus hatch. If you flip it the way it is then you're screwed as the windshield will shatter and the roof will collapse in towards your head. Why do you think most of us crawler guys build a good cage in it?

is the point of this competition to make your truck look as honkey as possible? cause your going straight to the podium with that thing.
also, does removing oem components count as mod tech these days? cause i have an emblem removal write up that needs a new home!

xcm said:
is the point of this competition to make your truck look as honkey as possible? cause your going straight to the podium with that thing.
also, does removing oem components count as mod tech these days? cause i have an emblem removal write up that needs a new home!
quit being a douche...

you wont understand till you have the oppurtunity to take an xj and beat the ever living piss out off it!

im all for it, but do it right, put a roll cage in before you become part of a dumb statistic....
DO THEY EVEN LET YOU 'race' WITHOUT ONE?

I think that you guys are kind of missing the idea of tough trucks. First of all this xj has 355k on it I bought it for $300 for this competition, I don't have a welder so a cage is way out of my budget. A cage is not required for the competition. just a helmet and neck brace. It is a slow course, last year i never past second gear. The truck has to last for 4 thirty second laps, then i am taking the parts i want and scrapping it. this is way safer than last year's
DSCN0784.jpg

Back