• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix, high output short blocks

suthernoutlaw

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 4.0 HO and it has blowby REALLY bad. I dont have the money for a rebuild right now, and i have an 89 Renix that runs excellent. I was wondering can i use the Renix shortblock and put my HO head and other parts directly on the renix block? If so will there be a big power loss? Im tryin to keep this on the road b/c its my dd. thanks......

That will work, plug and play just like you are thinking. best bang for your buck, for what you will be spending you wont miss the few horses. Good Luck,
P.S Mark everything and put every bolt in plastic bag and mark, I rebuild hot rods and think I know everything I take off, but when your rushing through a project cus it has to be on the street, you will be surprised when you cant find those bolts, I KNOW I LEFT THEM HERE. So any small assemblys do the mark and bag thing, you will save yourself some sanity.

Another trick I like - I keep a couple of cardboard boxes, a punch, and a marker for stuff I think I'll need right away. Make a hole, stick the screw in, and MARK IT - when you need it, it's right there, and you don't have to dig through the pile of bags with your free hand...

When I used to work on a lot of engines, I had wooden blocks that I'd drilled holes into - the engine they were for was marked on the end, and the holes were marked and sizes for various screws. I need to make something new for Jeep stuff now...

5-90

Don't forget to use the HO dist., as this can lead to alot of headaches if you forget to change it.

5-90 said:
Another trick I like - I keep a couple of cardboard boxes, a punch, and a marker for stuff I think I'll need right away. Make a hole, stick the screw in, and MARK IT - when you need it, it's right there, and you don't have to dig through the pile of bags with your free hand...

When I used to work on a lot of engines, I had wooden blocks that I'd drilled holes into - the engine they were for was marked on the end, and the holes were marked and sizes for various screws. I need to make something new for Jeep stuff now...

5-90

I used to work at a restoration shop and I put the bolts in baggies and used a sharpie on the baggie to write where it came from. Took alot of pictures of what it looked like as well. We used polariods - now with digitals it will be much easier. Because you will forget sometimes it helps to see what it looks like.

Matt

BTW if you happen to put the project to the side for a while don't leave the bags outside. I came back to a cj-5 project I had put off for a year or more to find a pile of bolts with little bits of zip-lock bags stuck between them. I know it was a stupid thing to do, but I learned the lesson, and gave it away so I wouldn't have to f-with it.

Back