• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rate your winch

Warn X8000i, I think I spent $800 on it, but I've never once had it fail me. It's pulled me out numerous times, and if I had to do it again, the only change I would make is maybe the x9000i or a bigger Warn. The controller is also waterproof, I was stuck in mud that was deeper than my 33's once, had to push the mud out of the way so I could open the door, then promptly dropped the controller into the water/mud. It still works fine after that.

I have a Titan Winch, sold by a local guy up here. Quite a few around the area have them it seems and are all very pleased with performance, speed and customer service before and after the sale.
check out the site
The only drawbacks as I see them, are that they are not a big name, and don't have years of dependable service to back up the name, like a Warn does.

I however have used it to recover myself and others, speed is good, strength is great (I have a 10 000lbs model) and the guy is constantly upgrading the parts to higher and higher quality as often as he can (ie waterproofing the solenoids)

Yesterday I dragged my ass outta water/mud upto my doors (4.5" on 33's) and then drug a buddies 4" on 35's TJ buried upto the doors out of another spot.

beakie I have bean looking at the titan winch for a long time now is it really that good and can you get parts for them if something dose break ?:cheers:

Warn M8000 on one and Warn XD9000 on the other. Love them both, no problems.

1.5 ton come-a-long and it sucks.

Warn M8000. Worth it, I love both of mine.

A bit fast for a beginners wich, but you grow into it quickly.

I've used several brands, and I always prefer a Warn. But if your stuck and NEED a winch, anything works.

Warn 8274, what to say that hasn't already been said.

As said Warn is tuff to beat. I actually smoked the motor and my battery pulling a full size silverado out after he broke his front axle. Come to find out the rust scale inside the motor finally shorted out the brushes and fused most everything inside together. Bought a new motor off ebay and it is pulling good still. Not bad for a winch that is probably close to 15 years old.

tmax 9,000lb

has had a lot of problems. theres a thread on here (a review, with pics) by me but to sum it up ill say its a good winch for the money, $500-600, its defiintly fast and tough, but has quality control issues. None (except one) were major issues, easily fixable if you're mechanically inclined...

I've had two.

Ramsey REP 8.5E
No problems at all, just a little slow when unloaded (as opposed to Warn's mach 2 no-load speed)
Very reliable from a reputable manufacturer.

Warn M8000
Again, no issues, fast no-load line speed, but comparable to the Ramsey under load. I haven't had the opportunity to use it, but a good friend did and it worked as advertised.
Warn's reputation.

John

IntrepidXJ said:
to anyone who needs to rely on their winch out in the middle of nowhere, this kind of issue is not acceptable

Pretty much. the biggie that went wrong was 2 frame mounts cracked, partially due to my incorrect torqing pattern, partially due to the fact that the bolts they give you are 2/5" too long and drive themselves into the frame cast.

Other stuff, controller plug consistantly falls out of plug on winch's solenoid box, thus a friend has to hold this plug in place. also the ball/spring used to hold the clutch handle firmly in an on/off position failed, so another guy has to hold that in place, finally both the plug end and the controller end of the controller has had electrical connections come loose, multiple times, repeatedly. Piece of shi* made in china. But i dont mind, ive fixed most stuff, TMAX as EXCELLENT customer service and they sent me all new parts, everything i needed, to fix my winch. I had no proof of purchase or warantee, either.

emr1101 said:
tmax 9,000lb

has had a lot of problems. theres a thread on here (a review, with pics) by me but to sum it up ill say its a good winch for the money, $500-600, its defiintly fast and tough, but has quality control issues. None (except one) were major issues, easily fixable if you're mechanically inclined...

I've got the Tmax EW9000 as well. I've been using it quite a bit lately. I've not had any issues out of mine at all. It's impressed me to be honest. There's been a couple of times I really thought it would stall out and it just kept on keeping on.

emr1101 said:
Pretty much. the biggie that went wrong was 2 frame mounts cracked, partially due to my incorrect torqing pattern, partially due to the fact that the bolts they give you are 2/5" too long and drive themselves into the frame cast.

Other stuff, controller plug consistantly falls out of plug on winch's solenoid box, thus a friend has to hold this plug in place. also the ball/spring used to hold the clutch handle firmly in an on/off position failed, so another guy has to hold that in place, finally both the plug end and the controller end of the controller has had electrical connections come loose, multiple times, repeatedly. Piece of shi* made in china. But i dont mind, ive fixed most stuff, TMAX as EXCELLENT customer service and they sent me all new parts, everything i needed, to fix my winch. I had no proof of purchase or warantee, either.

My controller is a push and twist connection at the box. It's nearly impossible for it to fall out. I've taken mine apart and checked the connections too. Everything looks honkey-dorey to me. How old is your Tmax?

Superwinch EPi9000. Still very new to me but it had the lowest amp draw and fastest line speed of all that I researched.
Do a search for Superwinch, you won't find any negitive about it.

emr1101 said:

So will they send it to the mud pit you're stuck in if it breaks while you're in there?

I have a 12k electric Milemarker - love it. I know its a wee bit big for an XJ but it was a freebee off my old ram when I traded it in. Haven't used it since its been on the XJ, but before it pulled like a champ on my dodge. Will addmitt it won't win a race for line speed, but for the price I cannot complain one bit.

Back