• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sound while turning at low speed

mfascuba

NAXJA Forum User
97 with a 2" budget boost and 31's. Replaced every U-joint on the vehicle and all brakes about 7000 miles ago.

I have also recently replaced the unit bearings on the front hubs (both sides). The transfer case is an NP242, and this happens on the street in 2wd.

Recently (last couple of weeks) developed a noise while turning at low speed, sounds like a tire rubbing on a control arm but I replaced the control arms with some Rusty's with a kink in them to avoid this, also this happens when turning slightly, as opposed to full lock.

The jeep also has ABS, at first I thought something was rubbing on the hall effect rotor behind the hubs, but I took a look and they are as rusted as ever.

Any suggestions on where to look next?

Thanks,

Mark

I'll check the PS fluid today -

The noise is more when the wheels are just turning a little, not locked. The factory flares and fender well liners are on the jeep, but there is no evidence of rubbing. This usually happens on pavement when making a "normal" turn, like pulling away from a stop sign making either a left or right. It doesn't seem to happen straight ahead, and it goes away once the speed increases.

One of my suspect areas are the unit bearings because I put the cheapest ones I could find in there. My only reason for second guessing myself is that the noise goes away when the speed increases, which is against what I"d think the bearings would do if they were failing.

???

Did you check for rubbing against the lower part of the bumber end cap?

Checked the PS fluid, it was OK. Had to rotate tires so had the front tires off, no sign of rubbing except the right side sway bar at full lock (I thought I was still into the control arms but they were dirty - no rub marks).

The noise is coming from the front somewhere, so I've not looked at the rear sway bars.

This noise souds like a spline rubbing, my first thought was the ABS wheel behind the hubs. My front wheel bearings were nice and tight, I re-torqued the axle nuts to be sure.

I remember a thread a while back about brake pads on the front having a loose fit against the caliper guides. Mine have some play - is this a possible source for this noise? If so I'll not worry about it.

This has me pretty well stumped.

Mark

Back