• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

*Pics* Does this look right? Napa Fan Clutch

live24wheel

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, Just picked this up hoping to solve my freeway overheating. Does this look right. Looks like to me its missing half the part! It was the only clutch they offered for a 2000 4.0.

0802081109.jpg

0802081109a.jpg

That's the one.

If you're overheating at highway speeds you really should look at your coolant flow. Radiator, scaling or water pump is usually the most likely culprit there. Have you done a flush 'n fill? Is the coolant clean?

Yeah from my radiator cap, Radiator Barn sent me a CSF 3 row and the filler neck was damaged. They wont help... I had to use needle nose pliars to try and straighten the sealing surface for the rad cap. It overheats just like it did though before I even swapped the rad.

ParadiseXJ said:
That's the one.

If you're overheating at highway speeds you really should look at your coolant flow. Radiator, scaling or water pump is usually the most likely culprit there. Have you done a flush 'n fill? Is the coolant clean?

All brand new coolant. I found a couple other guys from here in Phoenix and they had the same problem. Clutch fixed theres, I may as well swap it when I take the radiator back out to have a new filler neck put on.

live24wheel said:
Yeah from my radiator cap, Radiator Barn sent me a CSF 3 row and the filler neck was damaged. They wont help... I had to use needle nose pliars to try and straighten the sealing surface for the rad cap. It overheats just like it did though before I even swapped the rad.
If you paid with a credit card, call your card company.

[note to self]Radiator Barn is at the bottom of the list....

Do yourself a favor and grind off those tabs that are sticking up. If your motor mounts let go they will cut a circle in your new rad. I have had the same issue with Radiator Barn. I now buy my rads at Advance Auto and they will price match all mail order companies if you print out a price.

0802081109a.jpg

I dont even want to go throught the hassle. I will just drop it off at Performance Radiator, let them put a new neck on it and spend my money else where in the future.

I also just picked up a water pump. I completely forgot that when I replaced the thermostat that the housing was completely corroded and pitted to heck. I can only imagine what the water pump looks like.

www.DPGoffroad.com for your CSF radiator needs. Dirk will treat you right.

(n)=Radiator Barn
:thumbup:=Dirk @ DPG Offroad

Fan clutch will only help overheating at idle. 2000 is known for cracked cylinder heads between the 3 and 4 cylinder valve springs, you should have that checked before putting on anymore parts.

I've never had a bad overheating issue, but back in '03 I needed to install new lifters in my '92. When I removed the head, I noticed that the coolant passage at the back of the head was rather clogged with the same sort of gunk that you'd find in a radiator. I cleaned it out as far into the head as I could reach, and as far into the block as I could go. After I put it all back together, it ran noticeably cooler, never hitting 210* even back when the air worked. A radical approach to a cooling issue, sure, but it makes sense. After you stop the engine, the head is probably the hottest spot. The coolant just sits there, boiling off the moisture, leaving behind whatever impurities were suspended in it. A few thousand 'hot soak' cycles, and viola!- we have stalagmites. Just a thought........

OK I just got done replacing the Water pump and Fan Clutch. It didnt seem to go much above about 215, down the freeway at about 70 with the A/C on. It was hanging right at 210 then jumped just a hair to about 215. That is with it leaking coolant from the radiator cap. SO, Now I just have to yank the radiator back out, and get that fixed towards the end of the week. I would have done it today but the place im taking it doesnt work on them on Saturdays, just sales. Thanks for the input folks.

Just for the sake of making sure the thermostat is good, you should remove it, drop it in a pot of water, using a thermometer heat the water up, make sure the thermometer will reach around 210. If the thermostat is good it is supposed to open at 180 - 190, if it doesn't you just solved your mystery. It's a simple check and new parts aren't always what they seem. Just a thought, take care and good luck

Odd, I ordered from radiator barn and got one with a bent filler neck, cap wouldn't seal, and i called them and they sent me out a new one i just had to pay for it up front and then fedex reimbursed them for the shipping damage.

this was about a year ago.

and definitely remove those thermal tabs, i lost my old 3 core to them.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Odd, I ordered from radiator barn and got one with a bent filler neck, cap wouldn't seal, and i called them and they sent me out a new one i just had to pay for it up front and then fedex reimbursed them for the shipping damage.

this was about a year ago.

and definitely remove those thermal tabs, i lost my old 3 core to them.

Hmm I guess I will have to give them another call. I just hate the idea of paying for another one and getting screwed out of that money when I coule just pay $15 for a new filler neck to be installed. I guess I will wait and see what they have to say this time around...

just a thought on the overheating issue.

the new clutch could help if the old one was constantly locked up. being locked up would have the engine under further load at speed, not to mention the fan may actually slow the air flow through the rad as it is trying to pull air through at a dif speed than your driving. Creates a kind of bubble of pressure I believe.

hope the rad situation gets fixed tho, seeing as I want a new rad, these experiences make ordering from certain people less of a thought.

Get the rad fixed/replaced before spending any more money! Take it one step at a time unless you just want to replace things.

beakie said:
... these experiences make ordering from certain people less of a thought.

Rad Barn replaced my 3-row no questions asked...I had a new radiator the next day...

ParadiseXJ said:
Rad Barn replaced my 3-row no questions asked...I had a new radiator the next day...

OK i gave them a call. Told them the situation and he said they will treat it like a deffective radiator. I wont have it next day and as of now I own two radiators.... I had to pay for another, They are sending me a prepaid shipping thing, then when they receive the POS one they will refund my card. I must say they were much more helpful this time.

Back