• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ball joint gap

*xj-man*

NAXJA Forum User
i'm in the process of putting dana 30 knuckles (97+) onto my rubicon axle(older).. i torqued the ball joints to 100 foot pounds but there seems to be a gap.. is this safe? does anyone have some advice?
DSCN1224.jpg

other side

DSCN1223.jpg

thanks

Just read on another forum that the upper ball joint has a spring inside and that it rides up and down on the shaft of the bolt. Don't have any proof but if you measure the old and the new ones they should be the same length. Hope this helped alleviate any worries you may have.

hmm definitly think theyre supposed to be tighter than that, ball joints that have any plan in them will cause death wobble and really bad tire wear

I see you have nice new paint on the knuckles. I suspect you spilled a little paint down in the tapered bore. I did this when I rebuilt me D30. I would have bet money the bores were clean. I took the knuckles back off and there was paint in there. It does not take much.

is it possible that the inner C is bent up from a hard landing and a little too open for your outer? maybe measure one that is on a vehicle that you know is good, and then measure yours. maybe she's bent and you could bfh her into shape with some heat.

too things, i took the knuckles off and painted them, and another i feel like a retard because they just didnt have any grease in them which then filled the gap, they are torqued and i slid the shafts and bearings and put the brakes on and it all came together with no problems

Back