• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Staying Cool

Mstrkage

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for keeping the inside of my XJ cool when I have no air conditioning. My jeep has the wonderful:jester: 2.8l which is weak enough without a compressor strapped to it.

I'm looking for suggestions other than rolling the window down which really doesn't do much when moving slowly on the trails or in slow moving city traffic.
Thanks, I bet this can help more than just me!

Make sure the hood seal at the cowl is in place and undamaged. Without it hot air leaking under the back of the hood gets sucked into the cowl vent when the vent fan is running.

This shows how the problem was solved for a car, but I think you could do the same with your XJ.

redneck_ac.jpg

Please tell me that was photoshop.

tbburg said:
Please tell me that was photoshop.

I can't say for sure, but I think it is real. I mean did you notice that the passenger rear tail light is busted? They replaced it with that big square red block, that I am assuming is the new tail light.

Look at the expandable foam around the window unit. I don't think anyone photoshopped this, and even though it is INSANE it technically would do what the forum poster wanted.

Mudderoy said:
This shows how the problem was solved for a car, but I think you could do the same with your XJ.

redneck_ac.jpg

That's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen done to a vehicle.

On an XJ you'd knock the unit off of the side if you ever ran in the woods.

fubar XJ said:
That's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen done to a vehicle.

On an XJ you'd knock the unit off of the side if you ever ran in the woods.

I don't know about that, looks like the most practical design I have seen in some time. Think about it, you can camp in it all night with the AC running and only use a little bit of gas and run the radio with out draining the battery or running the gas guzzling engine under the hood. All the comforts of home! Or, opps, maybe it is their home? Mobile home that is.

Probably less expensive than buying auto AC parts and fixing the old oem system. Those ACs are like $100.

All I see missing is the DUCT TAPE!:D

Back