• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brewing Saturday, 2 Aug, 2008

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
Doing my first 10 gallon batch.
For those that are interested, I'm splitting the batch. Same grain bill and hop schedule, but doing 2 different yeasts.

22 lbs 2 row pale
2 lbs carapils
2 lbs Crystal 60L

Simcoe, Amarillo, Columbus, Cascade Hops

NW ale yeast on one half, and American Ale II on the other.

YUMMY!

Let me know if you want to stop by, I'm sure that I can help you with a pint or two.

I just did a 10 gallon batch last week (of my wonderful vanilla/caramel cream ale), I had to do it in two sets though, as my boil pot is only 8 gallons. What are you using for your boil pot, and mash tun? converted kegs?

Interesting that you are using two different yeasts, how different is NW compared to AAII? I have never brewed with NW before, it looks like has a slightly lower attenuation, but how does the flavor compare to AAII, does it still leave a nice clean flavor like AA??

--John

I have a cream ale in secondary (cold crash w/ gelatin) right now. I'll probably keg it on Sunday.

I'm trying for a NW Pale ale/IPA for one half, and on the other, Im just winging it. I have a Wyeast smack pack that was too slow for a brew last week, that is taking up space in the fridge..

We'll see how everything turns out in a week or three!

John

P.S.
I'm using a keggle as my brewpot. One of my Soldiers gave me 2 SS Kegs that I'll use as a LT and a MT at some later time.

I may just have to make a trip down south, John. The beer would be secondary to your company of course.

Ba-Riedo said:
So you making more panty dropper? I uh heard that that was a pretty good beer. :D

-Alex

The SierraNovada was way better in my opinion.

Thanks guys,

I'm kinda glad I didn't have company. I based my schedule off of a 5 gallon batch, and it took MUCH longer than I anticipated. I started around 2pm, and didn't finish until after 9PM.

I kegged the Cream Ale, as well as a Bavarian Weizen for Loonie. I should be drinking them in the next few days.

I'll definitely do a brew class if you guys still want it. Maybe on a Sunday afternoon, swing by around noon or so and I'll provide the Beer, Brats, etc.

Maybe in a week or so? I have about 6 weeks before I have to pack up, so if we want to brew, then drink the results we have to act soon!

John

PS does anyone have an old turkey fryer floating around? I need the burner. I can trade for yummy homebrew.

Man if I have the time I would like to show up for this. Really depends on my schedule though. I did see your Jeep rolling the back road from North Fort to Main a few days ago.

Umm, as the post says, 2 August. Sorry, but that beer is about to go into secondary fermentation.

I'll be around the house all weekend if you want to swing by. I'm not sure if we've met before, but what the hell. I live across the street from Beachwood Elementary. Instead of making a right to go to the school, make a left. You'll see the Jeep.

John

We met once a few years ago when I still had my 98XJ. Thanks for the invite and I didn't see the date. I willbe out of town all weekend vut will try to make it by at some point.

Back