• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 ZJ rear axle swap years?

lawsoncl

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know what ZJ years would be a straight bolt-in for a 93 ZJ D35? I can grab XJ D35s at the local yard, but I really don't feel like screwing with spring mounts.

As for why... I noticed last week a slight nudging when turning. It felt like a front u-joint going south and I figured it was nothing urgent. This afternoon, I make a sharp turn and got a loud 'bang' from the rear end. The drive home was fine on the straights but if I gave it any power in a turn it was bucking and banging pretty badly. Backing into the driveway was like riding a bucking bronco.

Jacked the rear end up and found one tire wouldn't spin and the other spun freely with it in park - rather bad sign. Pulled the cover and the spiders look like someone took a sledge hammer to them. I couldn't find anything cracked and no broken teeth or anything that might have gotten loose and gone through them. Lots of ground up metal in the bottom, so all the bearings are suspect now. Easier to just grab another junkyard axle - hence the question on interchange.

spiders.jpg

(the white spots on the ring are just the lighting)

Yeah. 93 was an oddball year since it had drum brakes instead of rear disks. Just wondering if a newer year with discs would be a straight bolt-on. Not sure what years or options had the 8.25 either.

lawsoncl said:
Yeah. 93 was an oddball year since it had drum brakes instead of rear disks. Just wondering if a newer year with discs would be a straight bolt-on. Not sure what years or options had the 8.25 either.

I dont think Grand Cherokees ever came with an 8.25 all the way through 04.

Back