• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes or u joints??????

jdurbach

NAXJA Forum User
:explosion
So I just got new leafs put on and when I picked up my jeep the mechanic said that my u joints were about to go that they were clicking and had a little play in them. The thing is during driving i dont hear it even when i am turning. It only makes this repeated "clicking under braking as i get close to a stop. i would call it mre of a fast pace popping that i have been noticing recently. Well I went under and checked all the u joints for any slop and found none. I did however find on the inside of my passenger rotor that the outer edge of the braking surface had been worn down considerably or liek it was a botched lathe job when I had them turned. Any opinions

rotors are warped

dont be so quick to judge. jack the side they said needed a u joint and really inspect it. do you know how to? you do know the u joint is attached to the shaft which comes in contact with various parts which also come in contact with the brakes. energy is going to travel, leading to false diagnosis. im just saying, look again. diagnose it properly, it will save you money in the end.

What R_jeep said.... Inspect it close. Smitty sounds right too. Your rotors will look different on the outer edge since the brake pad doesn't wear it any there. It will look like a lip has formed there after awhile and I've seem them sharp enough to cut you if you're not careful. I think you are feeling the warped rotors in you pedel but don't discount the fact that you may also have worn u-joints that may need replaced. If you value your mechanic's opinion I'd replace them before you possibly sling a driveshaft and find yourself looking for a used driveshaft to put new u-joints in. ;)....Al

axle shaft u-joint

I'm pretty sure that there is no play in the u joints my ASE certified wheeling buddy walked me through checking them. I'll try to explain the brakes better.
So on the side of the rotor facing in there is a line that forms a circle all the way around the rotor face. At this line the thickness of the rotor drops of dramatically all the way to the outer edge. I was told that u joints int he axle shafts click in turns when they have gone bad I have none of that. including when i am in 4 wheel drive. I only makes this sound when I am braking like something is grinding catching and then popping lose it is not the abs being in colorado I sure know what that sounds like

Unfortunately ASE often means Ask Someone Else - about the same as MCSE = Must Consult Someone Experienced.

On the u-joints, they need to be unloaded (ie parking brake on tranny in neutral) to feel them for slop. They can be dry and stiff as well which is harder to check. Wheel U-Joints don't necessarily click when bad. You usually feel those jerking in the steering wheel in tight turns. Easiest way to check those is jack the front end up, turn the wheel full over and spin the tire by hand. Any jerking or stiffness means the u-joint is binding and going bad.

what was it?

Havent had time to look at it closely yet. it only does it after hard braking. lately that hasn't happened so there has been zero noise. Thats the other thing that leads me to belive it is the brakes is that it is only after I brake hard.

After i brake hard the next time the brakes are applied it makes this noise until the next time i get in the car its weird. I think that it may be the pads and rotors. My ASE buddy knows a ton he built his yj himself with dana 60s dual ARB's and did all the custom armor too. It rides on 36" Iroks

Back