• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment + new tires. Which first?

winkosmosis

NAXJA Forum User
Can new tires affect how an alignment machine works? I got lifetime alignment at Firestone with the old tires, and they said it will keep pulling because the old tires are worn unevenly. But they also said to get new tires and get another alignment.

I need the alignment anyway because I just got a lift put on, but why can't I get an alignment and then get the new tires? Since they didn't know about the lift, why would they say to get another alignment? I thought the machines they use attach to the wheels, so it shouldn't matter if the tires are old and lumpy or something (which they aren't)?

Cause theyre idiots at Firestone...

You will be fine if you get an alighnment then put on new tires.

winkosmosis said:
Firestone with the old tires, and they said it will keep pulling because the old tires are worn unevenly.
They are trying to sell you new tires. I know that at Discount Tire they don't make any money when I go in for my lifetime alignments.
Have you moved the tires around? L to R or F to R?

It's always best to get an alignment AFTER getting new tires since they will have an even wear (or lack of wear, heh)

Slight variations on how your old tires wore out will create difference in how well the vehicle is aligned, thus not providing the best possible alignment for when you do get new tires.

With a good alignment machine it does not matter one way or another, but it is hard for the tech to know if you have a pull from possible tires or not.

Well I happen to work At firestone, Have been working there for just a couple months now. It is suggested to get new tires before an alignment. It will cause your vehicle to pull if you have bad edge wear and get it aligned. Just tell them since you bought the lifetime you want your vehicle aligned. If they dont do it, its a corporation, ask for their DM phone number and that manager will give you free shit for his mess up. The thing is if you try to alight a vehicle with bad tires, the tires do not sit flat as they are due to the edge wear, so you cannot alight it poroperly. If you have new tires and then get it aligned it is easier just becuase the tires WILL sit flat on the plates of the alignment machine. Again tell them to align your vehicle, its not going to cost you a penny since you have the lifetime and the tech will still get paid. thats why i hate firestone, FLAT RATE sucks. Damn near every tech at all firestones are Flat Rate and dont make crap for money. Living in portland where there are MANY firestones, techs dont have tohe opportunity to make alot of money. If i was at a busy shop flat rate would be awesome, its only good if your a busy shop, and your a fast tech. Good luck on the issue, If they dont give you the number to their DM then you can seriously damn near own firestone for them not following the "standards". -Matt

I work at Firestone (for 2 months) and I know exactly what you mean. I was pretty much forced into working there, its not the greatest in the world but it pays the bills.

For sure. You do what you gotta do.

well sounds like we got the same setup, got any pic of your rig? i just got done installing a cage about a month ago, just wondering if you got a bunch of your pics of the exo. i was thinking of doing it eventually and just tying it into the bumpers and interior cage.

Back