• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So confused by U joint numbers

jdurbach

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my U joints in my 99 cherokee. Im so confused as to which spicer u joints to get. Its a 99 with a HP dana 30 and ABS. also the jeep dealer told me 550 for labor. I'm working a lot and don't have the tools here in Denver to do it myself. All my tools are at my buddies shop in my college town. So what spacers should I be getting.

Well this isn't really a mod tech question.... but anyway.

$550 for labor to replace u-joints is a complete and utter rip off.

For the front axle shafts you'll need 760x series u-joints for that axle. Or, they could be listed under 297x which is the same size joint, just the older design and number.
For the driveshafts, you'll need 153X or 1310 (again same thing different numbers) u-joints.
I have no idea what you're talking about with "spacers".

Hope that helps some.

Last edited:
Holy shit thats a lot, my front right just started squeeking and banging bad, but im not selling out $500+ for a repair. Just buy some replacements, i thikn in 96+ theyre like 297/xxx or something...

jdurbach said:
sorry I meant spicers not spacers whoops. So the 760x or the 297x thank you

Preferably the 760x over the 297x.
The 760x has a larger trunion and is a better joint.

jdurbach said:
god quadratec is a rip off they are $40 there
Your in Centennial, co right?

There are plenty of local mechanics that would charge a heck of a lot less than that.

try Josh @ crawlertech http://crawlertech4x4.com/ he might be a little out of your way but he is a highly recommended locally by the 4x4 community in Denver.

I handed him my shafts (cheaper if you just hand them that shafts, it is a pain to switch out the joints yourself unless you have a press.) and he had the spicer 760x u-joints on hand for $29.99 each and walked away for a good price having them pressed in.

Sounds like you do not have the means to remove the shafts yourself but I bet he would be heck of a lot cheaper than $500 :)

Last edited:
Skully:A press isn't needed.A vise can do the same job....
Do you have a decent socket set and a BFH?
Thats pretty much all you need to change axle u-joints....
You could use a vise to press them out but all I ever use is a couple of sockets,flat blade screwdriver(for the u-joint retaining clips) and a hammer to change them.Would probably cost $50 total to do it yourself....Its not the smallest job but on the same hand it's not very big either.
But......
Doesn't sound like you are going to change them yourself so I'll skip the repair details......

Last edited:
jdurbach said:
how much do you think he would be? I'm at work and can't call
Depends on if you can just take him your shafts.....

or if he has to do the whole dis assembly?

I believe his shop rate was $68 an hour.

When I went there he charged me $68, but he did several things besides pressing in the new ujoints, he also replaced the bearings and seals in my rear axle shafts and replaced two studs. Keep in mind I brought him the shafts out of the axle.

I think he is there past 5pm, if you can call him then if not his shop phone goes to a mobile if he is not at the shop.

outlander said:
Skully:A press isn't needed.
Do you have a decent socket set and a BFH?
Thats pretty much all you need to change axle u-joints....
You could use a vise to press them out but all I ever use is a couple of sockets,flat blade screwdriver and a hammer to change them.Would probably cost $50 total to do it yourself....
But......
Doesn't sound like you are going to change them yourself so I'll skip the repair details......

Last time I did that, four hours later and a lot of use with the propane torch to heat them up the $68 an hour for have a shop to press them out and in, saves a lot of time cussing, beer, sore thumbs, and advil for the headache :)

i have the axle nut socket and an air compressor with an impact wrench, i also have some cheap ass clamp. Will i be able to get this old u-joint out and the new one in? I just need to have a new one in because im gonna be gone for the next year and need my mom to drive my jeep once every 2 weeks while im gone.

Back