• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Don't be lazy...

smcdonaldaz

NAXJA Forum User
and do what I did.

When my jeep was stock height and was rolling with 215's on steelies I came across a set of 5 235's on polished MB Motoring rims which had 3.75" backspacing. Picked them up for $300 and the rig was starting to look nice. Added 3" of lift and disconnected the sway bar from the spring plates and just tied it up because I didn't trust the smart guys on here who said it wasn't needed.

Fast forward...

My rig is forest green with black trim. I added a black roof rack and black Lebarron vents to the hood. The polished aluminum didn't look right and I was looking for black when my buddy offered me his stock steelies to paint. Got them painted and headed to Pep Boys to swap them and get an alignment.

It looked great with the black rims! I took off and got about 200 yards when I heard rubbing. I thought, "No way are my fenders rubbing." Suddently POW! My left rear blew. I was going slow and turned into a parking lot when POW! my right rear blew. I was pissed and getting ready to head back and find out what they did to my tires. I took a quick peek and there was that danged sway bar staring back at me.

Guess who's getting new 31's tomorrow?

Don't be lazy, if you disco the sway bar, get it out of there! Five minutes isn't worth the agrivation and money!

or atleast zip tie it up... Sorry dude that blows.

I ground the ends off of mine with an angle grinder & no rubbing. I have 02 TJ 15x8 wheels & couldn't drive untill I ground it off. I cut into the bushing about 1/2". It's close but even in severe off camber situations it doesn't rub any more. I like my rear sway bar, it sucked on road without it & works fine on trails but I can pull it in about 1/2 hour if I want to go rock crawling.

On an XJ you wont really notice a lot of difference driving because the leaf springs keep it pretty stable on their own. Once you start flexing the rear out though, you'll notice a little difference. Theyre not necessary as 4 of the 5 XJ's Ive owned didnt even come from the factory with one. The front is a different story. Sorry to hear about your tires though, that really sucks.

x2.....I've been driving with out swaybars for a few years now and have gotten used to it.
But......
**Driving without a front swaybar isn't for everyone.If you have a soft suspension(Stock or old man emu)and soft or worn out shocks I don't reccommend it.**
I get away with it because I have procomp ES3000 shocks(read:stiff!!!)

As for the rear....it's just a paper weight!!!

even towing a loaded trailer.
=================================
Towing adds weight low and in the center of the XJ. This type of loading generally will not encourage rolling not much anyway.
Now start with allmost 1000 LBS of sons and me inside. Then load all the camping gear made by man in the roof rack. This is besides 2500 LBs of boat and trailer and she will roll like a pig in mud. With over sized bars front and rear.
They sucks for offing but I can unbolt them anyway.

Wait, can 31x10.5 tires not fit on stock wheels with a swaybar, or only if it's disconnected????? Do I need to take mine off before I get 31" tires today? The shop that installed my springs didn't take off the swaybar like I said, but I was going to do it whenever I felt like it

outlander said:
x2.....I've been driving with out swaybars for a few years now and have gotten used to it.
But......
**Driving without a front swaybar isn't for everyone.If you have a soft suspension(Stock or old man emu)and soft or worn out shocks I don't reccommend it.**
I get away with it because I have procomp ES3000 shocks(read:stiff!!!)

As for the rear....it's just a paper weight!!!

I have the procomp es3000 shocks too... maybe thats why I dont mind driving without a swaybar. I had to connect mine though because I broke my rear shock mount(axle side) and bent the shaft on my procomp ha ha.

winkosmosis said:
Wait, can 31x10.5 tires not fit on stock wheels with a swaybar, or only if it's disconnected????? Do I need to take mine off before I get 31" tires today? The shop that installed my springs didn't take off the swaybar like I said, but I was going to do it whenever I felt like it
I ran 31x10.50 MT/Rs on stock rims with a front sway bar, without a rear for over 60k miles. 3" lift, stock trackbar.

slcpunk74 said:
or atleast zip tie it up... Sorry dude that blows.

The problem was that I DID tie it up! But when you tie it up it puts the posts right in line with the widest part of the tire. If you leave it connected your fine because the posts are way down by the leafs.

Anyway, just got back from a great weekend up north wheeling my new 31's and the ole XJ did great in the mud and on the rocks.

Back