• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To Mount Hood Pins

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
If some one has any pics of where they mounted the pin under the hood. I do not see an easy spot to drill looks like It would be tight any where you drill. Please any info or pictures would be great.

Check your state laws. In a few states they (can be) considered a pedestrian hazard. Unless they were installed before said law was passed. .
You must retain a second or safety latch. Federal law.
You can replace the OEM rest/rubber stops with pins as on the 01 anyway. Just drill a hole in the rubber and slide it over the hood pins. Use extra nuts on the pin to hold said rubber at the right height
You can also install them in the rear of the hood through the hinges on some hoods or cowing. Pull 4 pins and the hood lifts off. If you work on your engine a lot this can come in handy.
They can be used as quick releases for spare tires, jacks etc. The down side is it make stuff easy to steel to.

I was thinking of putting them more in the middle. Rather then more towards the outside. it just looks like it would be impossable to mount the pin its self.

Hey outlander looked back at the old post that is where I want to put mine can you post some pics of the inside of the hood. And any info on the install would be cool. I hve put pins on acouple of my trucks and they where all easy. This looks a bitch. Thanks Chris

Subscribed!

I'll do a mini write up tomorrow with pics....too hungover right now from celebrating my new job last night..party1:
Is it bad that you can throw back a case of beer at one setting?lol

...whats wrong with the oem hood opening process?
if you cant figure out how to mount hood pins, maybe that oem look is for you!

xcm said:
...whats wrong with the oem hood opening process?
if you cant figure out how to mount hood pins, maybe that oem look is for you!

We can't all be as awesome as you....

I've just never seen an XJ with hood pins. I'm sure its not that complicated...I'd just like to see it before I go drilling holes in my hood, then deciding I don't like the look....

will get pics of my hood pin setup tomorrow. its pretty simple.....i run the advanced auto special :)

why you want pins. the cable melted in the fire as a result was not able to open the hood to put the fire out with the extinguisher. i know run pins on all xjs
oldjeepburning.jpg

DSC00776.jpg

pic of my pins from outside. will get a pic of inside later.
best hood pic i got
DSC02426.jpg

Last edited:
ok, sinse someone asked, you wouldnt want to start by drilling a hole in the hood... you would want to start by mounting the pins thru the radiator support... THEN, close the hood with a dab of grease on the tip of the pin, then drill a hole where the mark is.

i would recommend some autofab rubber bushings for the top of the hood, you can get them at ORW
ps, if you gut the hinges, and ditch the oem pull cable, you can get it to still pop open when you undo the pins... otherwise if you completely remove the oem stuff, you wont be able to open the hood without putting a wire under the corner of the hood (would be a decent anti-theft device, not perfect, but will prevent kids from fsking around under the hood)
the latches hit the spring, so without it, no go.

xcm said:
ok, sinse someone asked, you wouldnt want to start by drilling a hole in the hood... you would want to start by mounting the pins thru the radiator support... THEN, close the hood with a dab of grease on the tip of the pin, then drill a hole where the mark is.

i would recommend some autofab rubber bushings for the top of the hood, you can get them at ORW
ps, if you gut the hinges, and ditch the oem pull cable, you can get it to still pop open when you undo the pins... otherwise if you completely remove the oem stuff, you wont be able to open the hood without putting a wire under the corner of the hood (would be a decent anti-theft device, not perfect, but will prevent kids from fsking around under the hood)
the latches hit the spring, so without it, no go.

yeah thats the only down fall of it is that it is easy to steal things out of the engine compartment. what i did to still have the hood with some spring was take apart the little springs that are under each latch. put the spring over the pins so after you pull the clips out it automatically springs up.

my first attempt, i removed everything....
its a real bitch to open the hood... but i keep a small peice of wire in the glovebox, and it works easy, once you know the trick... I DOUBT a casual theif would figure it out, but he might just put a screwdriver down there and pry it open....
the 2nd time...i left the springs and gutted the hinge, it opens itself when you pull the pins... its basically ASKING a casual passerby to take a peek
inside....
it kinda depends on where you live, and what you want.

xcm said:
my first attempt, i removed everything....
its a real bitch to open the hood... but i keep a small peice of wire in the glovebox, and it works easy, once you know the trick... I DOUBT a casual theif would figure it out, but he might just put a screwdriver down there and pry it open....
the 2nd time...i left the springs and gutted the hinge, it opens itself when you pull the pins... its basically ASKING a casual passerby to take a peek
inside....
it kinda depends on where you live, and what you want.

agreed...while mine is never seen in a parking lot...just in the yard or on the trail so no worrys about it.

You can also put a lock in one hood pin. Not needed around my neck of the woods. They just take the XJ and strip it later.:)

Back