• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C low side.

AZCA jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I can't remember which side is low and which is high. I'm pretty sure the low side is the passangers side and the high side goes from the compressor into the firewall. I just need someone to tell me if I'm right or wrong.

Oh and it's an '87

OK, I found out which side. Now the release valve. Am I just crazy or does turning it to the left open in? It seems to be getting tighter and I started to round it out from the square shape it's in. Is it some weird design and turning it to the right loostens it?:huh:

As I recall, the A/C compressor on an '87 has valves that are 3-position: all the way in (clock wise) stops all freon flow from the compressor to the hose; the center position, (half-way between full clock-wise and full CCW) opens the service port (the schrader valve connection on top of the valve), while allowing full freon flow to the system; full CCW turns off the service valve connection. The normal operating position is full "out", or ccw.

I can't tell you too much about the service port. All I know is that to open it it turns right, or clockwise. I only turned it 4-6 times to open it as I remember from before that it would just keep going and going. Don't ask me how I remember that and not which is the correct way to open in. :looser:

Anyway, now I have cold blowing air. Thanks guys.

Turn the valve clockwise to charge but no more than about two turns. You will know it is open when the can of refrigerant (r12/134a) starts to get cold, indicating that refrigerant is flowing into the system.

Yes this is clockwise to charge. Opposite from what ya think. Left turning closes the valve, hence mess all over the place. Whatever ya do, don't be breathing that freon in, less you wanna see the underside of the rocks, lol

they look like this.

Stemvalve.jpg

Back