• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front bump Stop dilema ?

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I never understood why 6" lift kits come with 2 or 3" bumpstops ?

- are they used to clear larger tires ?
- prevent shocks from bottoming out ?
- prevent springs from bottoming out ?
- clear the trac bar mount ?

If you're running 235's with 6" lift, everyone will point and laugh.:rolleyes:

I think you're pretty confused.

The best method is to simply measure to see what you need. Get the jeep flexed out and see where you're at. You want the axles to hit the bumpstops just before the tires make contact with the fenders/flares or anything else that may be in the way. Also check your brake lines to make sure they're still brake lines and not limiting straps.

I use them because I am a little different than most. My XJ has a 1.75" BB with 33" MTRs. This is a lot of tire on a 4.5" lift let alone a BB. I also run shocks designed for a 3" lift. I use the bumps to keep the tires out of my wheel wells. Which in turn allows me to run a longer shock by not letting me over compress it. The longer shocks allow for more down travel too.

HaleYes said:
If you're running 235's with 6" lift, everyone will point and laugh.:rolleyes:

I think you're pretty confused.

The best method is to simply measure to see what you need. Get the jeep flexed out and see where you're at. You want the axles to hit the bumpstops just before the tires make contact with the fenders/flares or anything else that may be in the way. Also check your brake lines to make sure they're still brake lines and not limiting straps.

I know 235s with 6" will look funny but I can use some extra uptravel to soak the bumps through the fast stuff

Back