• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding on an XJ

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
I'm, with any luck, going to be building some front tow points for the XJ this weekend. I was wondering if disconnecting the battery on a 98 XJ is all you have to do to keep from frying the computer or some other vital system. Thanks for any info!!!!

If you're really worried about it disconnect the negative cable, alt. wire, and plug from computer that way there's nothing to worry about at all.

I always disconect the possitive wire on the battery. With out the positive wire connected to the battery there will be know power going to the electrical components. Howeve if you have something that stores power such as a capacitor or other power storage device you could fry it if you do not disconect that as well.

I always disconnect the negative cable, it makes me feel better.

I asked this question at one of our better local muffler shops and the shop owner said that they never disconnct anything and have never had a customer come back with a fried computer. I asked this question while he was welding my Flowmaster on with the battery still connected.

This would be a good one for "Myth Busters"!

I allways disconnected the batterys ground while welding on the jeep for a long time, then, one day, I forgot. You can never guess the horrible things that happend!

Nothing. You have the gun and the ground clamp, put them close together and why would the current go elsehwere?

Electricity will always take the shortest path. It makes the most sense to clamp on or near the piece you are working on, to shorten the path and to make sure there are no rusty joints you are trying to pass current through.

Can't say I've ever disconnected my battery, and have I welded on my exhaust system and various frame brackets to the Jeep that could not otherwise bolted on. It certainly will not hurt to disconnect the battery, but you will loose your learned settings and it will take a few start/run cycles to get them back.

Just curious though, why weld tow points to the Jeep? I bolt mine on, as do most people.

call it over protective but i do remove the positive cable... better safe than sorry and only takes an extra minute.

And the place i go for cat's/mufflers asks the customer every time... some say no because they lose their pre-sets and shit but according to him he has had cars not start again. (truth or lies, he takes the extra second to do it and doesnt charge for it, so why not)

JOe

Zuki-Ron said:
Electricity will always take the shortest path. It makes the most sense to clamp on or near the piece you are working on, to shorten the path and to make sure there are no rusty joints you are trying to pass current through.
This is correct. Consider the Ground cable clamp "Point A". Consider the stinger, or welding tip, "Point B". The electricity will ONLY pass between those two points, so like was mentioned, keep the ground as close to the actual work as possible.

Sure, it won't hurt to disconnect the battery, but in 99 of 100 cases it just isn't necessary.

Weld on!!

Back