• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keyless entry / remote start paging alarm question.

AZRockRunner

Nobody
Wheew, that was a mouthful. Anyway I have a 89 laredo that I just aquired from a guy in the AZ chapter. The rig is awsome and I would LOVE to keep it in the family a good long time. So the wife and I are thinking about installing one of those remote start/paging systems in the cherokee but not sure if that is even possable in such an old vehicle. It is an automatic with power locks and windows but I was under the impression that the remote start/paging systems plug into the vehicle computer somehow.
I dont trust the local CC or bestbuy so they are out of the question here. I found a place online that sells the kits for MASSIVLEY cheaper than locally.
So, has anyone done this and was it wasy?

Thanks

Lata

It's pretty easy in that vehicle if you're comfortable with wiring. Don't go cheap on parts. I've had an Automate(Directed Electronics) on my XJ for 3 years, with zero problems. What engine do you have? I'm not 100% familair with the older XJs, but if it's carbureted and takes a little pumping to start, then the remote start will most likely not work because it has no way to pump the pedal(that can be arranged, but is typically reserved for professional installers). Can it be done, yes. Is it easy, relatively speaking, yes. I don't know your 12v electronics experience, but it is not a simple plug and play thing. You do tap into your harness in the vehicle including every wire it takes to start your vehicle. You'll need to know wire colors to tap into, and do not use t-taps or scotch locks. Preferably solder and tape all connections.

I have a 90 Laredo (which is almost 100% the same as your 89), and i have a remote start / alarm with a 2 way remote. I however did not have power locks, but it was easy to install actuators to make the system complete.

My advice? If you want the Jeep to last as long as possible... buck up and have a custom car audio (or similar) shop install an alarm for you. Best buy or "retail" chains / shops will do a hack job, so dont ever go there.

As stated already above , Directed Electronics (DEI) makes great equipment. (Ive got a python system)

Should you do the install yourself? No i would advise against it. Sure the installs on the older Jeeps are pretty straight foward with the proper wiring diagrams.... but even so, you dont want to end up with crappy connections and mis-wiring. Have you done alot of "proper" wiring using soldered and shrink wrapped connections? If not dont even attempt to do a job like this. Have a professional do it 100%.... Another thing to consider is that any decent alarm manufacturer (like Directed) will not honor their warranties if the equipment is not installed by an authorized installer.

Last edited:
I have the Directed Electronics Viper 791XV 2-way system and just love it actually scared off some guys from breakin into my jeep in my own driveway a few times now which is good for me since i have 3 JL audio 10" W3-V2s, MTX 1500 Watt RMS amp, and an Alpine flip out screen haha but I thought i would buy it and do it myself.... opened that boz saw that huge pile of wires closed it back up and went back to HiFi buys and told them to put it in and havent had a problem since. You WILL need the factory wiring diagram to know where the wires you need to tap into are and what colors they are. It really is more trouble than its worth to do it urself than to just pay someone. $500 sounds like alot (usual price I see for the system I have) but the quality of the system and peace of mind and ease of having someone else do it is just sooooo much easier.

DEI has some of the best systems out, get one of the newer thin style remotes. and yes, it will work on your 88.

Back