• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box dilemma

CV95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, Im looking to get a new steering box for my project, I am leaning towards the psc box, becuase Ive heard a few bad things about agr.

I will be turning 38's in the mud and on tight trails. no rocks. also 90% offroad 10% on. I would like to set it up for hydro assist when funds allow. here are two boxes I am looking at, is the one with the larger piston better?

larger piston
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sg621mr-tj-xj-yj-cylinder-assist-steering-gear-p-89.html

same one otherwise but smaller piston
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sg251mr-tjxj-yj-cylinder-assist-steering-gear-p-87.html

also I heard some good things about saginaw boxes, but haven't really found any info on them, and wasn't sure if they offered them already tapped for hydro assist or not. what are your opinions?

If you don't do rocks, and you get the bigger piston box, you may never need hydro assist. But, it's cheaper to get the box with the assist fittings already in it so you don't have to get it done later if you do decide to go to assist.

All the boxes are Saginaw, they're the OEM manufacturer. And not only for Jeep, for just about everything.

Nothing wrong with PSC stuff, but there's nothing wrong with AGR either. AGR still holds a bad rap in some circles for some problems they had many years ago when they went through an onership change. I know plenty of guys who run complete AGR systems and haven't had any problems. I still run a 10 year old AGR pump in my XJ.

thanks goatman that helped alot, I already tried the diy tap your own box thing and I messed that all up so Im just gonna get something that works good. one more question, what is the difference between the bigger piston box and the smaller? smaller better for the street?

another reason Im looking at psc is, because it was a lot easier to find a box with the fitting already, I did a quick search yesterday and had no luck finding an agr box that will work with my application. Im sure they are out their but I wasn't able to find it.

Goatman said:
If you don't do rocks, and you get the bigger piston box, you may never need hydro assist. But, it's cheaper to get the box with the assist fittings already in it so you don't have to get it done later if you do decide to go to assist.

All the boxes are Saginaw, they're the OEM manufacturer. And not only for Jeep, for just about everything.

Nothing wrong with PSC stuff, but there's nothing wrong with AGR either. AGR still holds a bad rap in some circles for some problems they had many years ago when they went through an onership change. I know plenty of guys who run complete AGR systems and haven't had any problems. I still run a 10 year old AGR pump in my XJ.

x2

There was an issue with AGR quality control around the time of ownership change, something about a coating on the INSIDE of the boxes gumming up the works. Mine is pre-ownership change and it's been holding fine since installed in 2003. Sure moves the 37s with ease...and that's without assist.

CV95XJ said:
thanks goatman that helped alot, I already tried the diy tap your own box thing and I messed that all up so Im just gonna get something that works good. one more question, what is the difference between the bigger piston box and the smaller? smaller better for the street?

CV95XJ said:
another reason Im looking at psc is, because it was a lot easier to find a box with the fitting already, I did a quick search yesterday and had no luck finding an agr box that will work with my application. Im sure they are out their but I wasn't able to find it.

Not much difference other than power. Some, if not all, of the smaller bore boxes are variable, which could be better for the street, but the big bore boxes seem to work fine. Some recommend the smaller bore box for hydro assist, since you'd need more flow to push the big bore box and the cylinder, but PSC sells them both ways. I run a small bore box on both the XJ and the buggy with assist on both.

Why couldn't you find an AGR box? They use the Saginaw 800 and 808 (small and big bore) boxes just like everyone else, their boxes will bolt right up to an XJ.

You can also send your box to West Texas Offroad or Tommy Lee and they can rebuild it and add the hydro assist fittings. Or, just buy the PSC stuff.

Back