• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More power with 4.88's ???

Deadman 94 xj

NAXJA Forum User
Feel free to move this if need be...

I regeared a while back and love the extra torque I get with 4.88's and 33's. Problem is it doesn't seem to be what I was expecting. I'm no speed racer and spend most of my time under 30mph but I would still like to be able to "Lightem up" at will. It won't do it (on the street).

Can anybody with a similar setup tell me if this is normal?

4.88 /Detroit locker/ 33's

If you want to 'light'em up', you need a different engine. :)

Sounds like your working correctly.

Deadman 94 xj said:
Feel free to move this if need be...

I regeared a while back and love the extra torque I get with 4.88's and 33's. Problem is it doesn't seem to be what I was expecting. I'm no speed racer and spend most of my time under 30mph but I would still like to be able to "Lightem up" at will. It won't do it (on the street).

I really thought the same thing when I had the 4:56's put in. I got to thinking about it and came to the conclusion in the 2nd post here, need more horse power!

Really the 4:56's and 32" tires put it back to where it was when it was stock, okay closer to stock (4.10 would be stock).

I love the 4:56's though. Big difference on the highway and over passes.

Mudderoy said:
I really thought the same thing when I had the 4:56's put in. I got to thinking about it and came to the conclusion in the 2nd post here, need more horse power!

Really the 4:56's and 32" tires put it back to where it was when it was stock, okay closer to stock (4.10 would be stock).

I love the 4:56's though. Big difference on the highway and over passes.

Yeah, I agree. It has it's big benifits. It's still no race car but that's ok.

Deadman 94 xj said:

Exact same setup here. If you didn't have the Detriot you may be able to do a one wheel peel, but the locker negates the burnout with a 4.0. If you want to chirp the tires off the line, try 4lo :D

I like mine, gets up and goes off the line better than my Expedition 5.4 with 3.73s.

IllianaXJ said:
but the locker negates the burnout with a 4.0.
Not true... My tires bark around just about every corner! 8>) And I can also do amazing burnouts... in the sand!
My 87's 150 or so HP is not enough to break traction on the pavement.
Mt Father N Laws stroker will though...

No lift makes burnouts easier. The higher you lift it the more anti-squat your rear suspension has which increases traction.

I've also heard that the AW4 auto deals with it differently than the standard transmission.

TNT said:
No lift makes burnouts easier. The higher you lift it the more anti-squat your rear suspension has which increases traction.
not only that, but i bet if you had less lift you'd also have less tire, and 4.88's would be able to light up stock size tires no problem. but then it won't wheel as well... i think it also depends on how soft the suspension is, not just height...

stiff rear leafs would help for breaking them free to reduce axle wrap as well as squat. bad for crawling though.

TNT said:

Very true. I've noticed quite a bit of spring wrap and a traction bar is in the works. This is with 5.5 RE HD leafs and their boomerangs. I can watch my pinion move quite a bit , I'd say 5-7 degrees.

I also noticed upon acceleration, the left (driver) side raises up (or down, can't remember now) quite a bit. So there are issues to be addressed.

Back