• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana service manuals...

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,
i stumbled on this site for dana front and rear ends in my searching for stuff...thought it might help those workin on their gears....

http://www2.dana.com/ expertforms/depdf.aspx?prod=AXL

hope it helps someone out....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to go with Billy on this one - for a similar reason. I've downloaded manuals from them a while ago as well.

That doesn't mean I'm going to share all of the manuals I've got from them tho - I've also been corresponding with a contact at Dana for a bit, and until I get express permission, I won't share other stuff. After all, I can understand copyright and close-hold information myself (especially being an author in my own right...)

However, I'll add in my vote that the link should stand - simply because it's being disseminated by the copyright holder. This is merely making it easier to find - there is no login required for the site, and it's not a "hidden link."

Under the Dana website 'Terms of Use' and copyright claims, no direct linking to any page is permitted other than dana.com

Permitted use of the direct link must be a text only link showing this: 'Dana Holding Corporation Web site'

From there you can give detailed text only instructions on how to find the said OP's link, and it will all be perfectly legal.

So....this thread must be either deleted, or edited to include this link plus a few directions :

Dana Holding Corporation Web site

Great find by the way!

MapleDitch said:
Under the Dana website 'Terms of Use' and copyright claims, no direct linking to any page is permitted other than dana.com

Permitted use of the direct link must be a text only link showing this: 'Dana Holding Corporation Web site'

From there you can give detailed text only instructions on how to find the said OP's link, and it will all be perfectly legal.

So....this thread must be either deleted, or edited to include this link plus a few directions :

Dana Holding Corporation Web site

Great find by the way!

Fair enough - are you willing to write directions? Or shall I do it to-morrow evening (gotta turn in shortly - got to do work to-morrow...)

Meanwhile, I'll go ahead and break the original link. I've been going in and out of that site so much I do it on autopilot, and didn't think about that bit anymore...

Here's how to access the Factory Service Manuals on DANA's Website. Go to Dana.com and then click on the "service parts" blue bar on the left. Then under the listing in the center of the page for "automotive and light axle" select "axles". Then select "literature" on the blue strip that goes across the page under the header. Once you've clicked literature, then click on the light duty literature link. That will take you to the page where you can access the service manuals.
In short:
1. Dana.com
2. Service Parts
3. "axles"
4. "Literature"
5. "Spicer Light Axle Literature"

Working for DANA has proven that in our tech center, there is no library of these manuals and we regularly have to use the website while in design discussion. I use them for general refrence and for the everyday Jeeper, they are excellent to read and know. AND before you all ask, there is no way that I can get you spicer parts or axles, there isn't any sort of employee purchasse program here :(

Cheers!

97Jeepers said:
Here's how to access the Factory Service Manuals on DANA's Website. Go to Dana.com and then click on the "service parts" blue bar on the left. Then under the listing in the center of the page for "automotive and light axle" select "axles". Then select "literature" on the blue strip that goes across the page under the header. Once you've clicked literature, then click on the light duty literature link. That will take you to the page where you can access the service manuals.
In short:
1. Dana.com
2. Service Parts
3. "axles"
4. "Literature"
5. "Spicer Light Axle Literature"

Working for DANA has proven that in our tech center, there is no library of these manuals and we regularly have to use the website while in design discussion. I use them for general refrence and for the everyday Jeeper, they are excellent to read and know. AND before you all ask, there is no way that I can get you spicer parts or axles, there isn't any sort of employee purchasse program here :(

Cheers!

You actually work for Dana? No, I don't want parts or anything - but I'd like to know how I can get "archival" information on stuff that's out of production. My contact has been helpful, but mainly with stuff that's either around currently or been around recently, and I'd like to find info on older stuff as well. Let me know - and I can stomp up a list...

Im actually a Co-op for mechanical engineering, who's working at dana for 6 months. I know its not the real deal, but I am working in the Advanced Product Development group for driveshafts and Cvs and im doing real development work, like redesigning U joints and running and issuing tests. If you have any questions about driveshaft design or whatnot, shoot me a message and I can do all of the actual calculations to find out whether or not it'll work.
I can look around for any info you may need. Dana isn't too worried about "dumbed-down" prints or any other data floating around, especially if the assembly is long gone obsolete. I will check to see whats really acceptable, I may just have to re write some info and then forward it to you to keep the legal people happy.
Its great working here, I can work on my XJ after work, and if i want to redesign something like a driveshaft to have more slip, I can get the prototype lab to retube, balance and modify shafts for me.

Im open to any and all questions

Cheers!

Hey - as long as you're happy doing it, it's "real deal" enough!

Mainly, I'm just interested in engineering specs (basic stuff - how much torque a given assembly is rated for constantly/intermittently, ...) and archival service manuals for the Dana 21/23/25/27/28/41 axles (out of production,) the Dana 70 (which my contact didn't dig up,) and possibly the Dana 110/135/150 heavy axles; and the various transfer cases (18/19/20/21/28?/300) and the like. As I've said, archival stuff.

If you want a more refined list, please let me know - I can dig up my notes and see what I've gotten and what I've not.

I'd also appreciate plans for the general axle assemblies (nothing too specific - but showing pinion length/pinion lateral and vertical offset from centreline) and - this is the part that might be problematic, and require my stopping off in Toledo anyhow - WMS-WMS widths on various axles (I have an Excel sheet for that one... I don't expect you to be able to dig it all up...)

Most of the information I have is public anyhow - it's just a matter of digging through the BoM listings and service manuals and collating it, which I've largely done. I'm not interested in anything that's currently being designed, so don't fret on that one.

That's a general idea. As I said, I can give you something more specific (which should happen via e-mail, so I can attach files for your reference and to simplify things) if you like, so just let me know on that score as well.

You can reach me backchannel on this at JeepI6Power AT yahoo DOT com - it's my "business" email addy, and this is all research for my second book.

Back