• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What 4.0 engines from Wranglers or Grands will fit in 2000 XJ? Please help!

xjjeepcjs

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new motor soon. I will rebuild the current one as time passes but I need to get this thing moving now.

I would like to just swap in a 4.0 from any jeep. I have the coil pack version in my 2000 XJ. I just want to find a block and head that will work til I rebuild the other.

What years of Wrangler and Grand Cherokee's have the same casting so I can just bolt up all my injection, accessories,and ignition?

Please help guys

how do it make a distributor motor run a coil pack? can I just seal off the distributor area? This is my boggle. I don't know if the blocks are different. is there some kit that will cover the distributor shaft area?

you should have a sensor that still picks up the signal from the camshaft. It plugs into the same hole as the dizzy did. A buddy of mine tore a 2000 block down to make a stroker run by a dizzy.

Thank you the info is greatly appreciated. How do you like your stroker? Is it the Hesco setup? I will look into doing that with the block I pull out.

The distributor was replaced by an oil pump drive - I'm not sure if there was actually a SYNC pulse sensor in that drive unit as well (was there? I'm RENIX...)

You can also adapt the coil rail to the #0630 (1996-1998/1999) and possibly the #7120 (1991-1995) heads - but the manifolds may prove difficult. Easier to get a "coil rail" engine and use that.

Alternatively, you can use any 4.0L short block, as any 4.0L head will bolt to any other 4.0L short block (also the 1975 or so-up 258ci blocks that take the 1/2" head screws) and go that route.

The #0331 heads are easy to spot - they're the only ones with coil rail bosses.

HOWEVER, with that being said, it is known that the 2000-2001 heads are about 50-50 for cracking at the deckline between the #3 and #4 cylinders, so try to get a 2002-up head if you get the parts separately. I have yet to determine how to sort out a "revised" early casting from a "potential falure" casting... By 2002 (WJ and TJ,) ChryCo had the issue pretty well in hand.

iirc there was a sensor on the oil pump drive. it should serve the same as the pickup in the dizzy.

I love the stroker, an i pieced it together myself. it comes out much cheeper, and is a very easy build. hesco wants what, close to 4k? I built mine for less than $1500, hell I beat the price of a good reman in my area. I just picked up a MJ and I am looking at builing another for it eventually.

go for an 2003 or up 4.0 liter, they improved the 0331 casting to correct the cracking issue between cylinders 3 and 4

im keen on this one, since my 00 is still doing fine, on its original head, but myabe not forever

wolfpackjeeper said:
iirc there was a sensor on the oil pump drive. it should serve the same as the pickup in the dizzy.

I love the stroker, an i pieced it together myself. it comes out much cheeper, and is a very easy build. hesco wants what, close to 4k? I built mine for less than $1500, hell I beat the price of a good reman in my area. I just picked up a MJ and I am looking at builing another for it eventually.

Yeah I have doen some serious research the past two days on a 4.5 or 4.6, depending how the cylinder walls look, build. I also noticed a serious price difference from the hesco kit and finding the parts myself. Heck I already picked up the 4.2 crank from an '89.

I am going to post another tread in the modified tech area asking about what every one has done on their stroker builds, But I have one question for you since you had a freind with a 2000. If i build a mild 4.5/4.6 I have read that the timeing should mot be an issue. I find this hard to believe, and want to know how to adjust timing on a coil rail jeep? Or how did you do the dizzy swap?

you dont. Unless you want to degree the cam forward. The jeep will pick its own timing based on inputs from the CPS, TPS and the optical sensor in the oil pump drive. I am pritty sure to switch to a dizzy you would have to find an older computer and switch to that.

I would do a 4.6 or 4.7, .030 over or .060 over.

Oh.. and by the way. I am having trouble finding a quick replacement for my motor that is reasonably priced here in Omaha, so it looks like a rebuild will be faster.

Stroker here I come! I am truly excited about this mod!

Back