• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balance my Super Swamper LTB's

xjcody

NAXJA Forum User
I just got the 33x13.5x15 ltbs mounted on new 15x10 soft 8 rockcrawler wheels. The guy was able to balance two of them after adding gnarly weights, but the other two were so bad that he could not get them balanced. I've heard of guys using silica powder or bb's to balance them. These are going to be run on a trail rig, but I need to drive the Jeep to the trails and when I feel like being cool :cool:.

airsoft pellets, search around

Thanks
Just looking for confirmation that it works well. I have a container of airsoft pellets so I should be good. Now to go and test fit the tires:D.

Remove Super Swampers from wheel

Install Good Year MT/r's on wheel

Drive home on balanced tires

:anon:

XJ_ranger said:
Remove Super Swampers from wheel

Install Good Year MT/r's on wheel

Drive home on balanced tires

:anon:
Buy stock in goodyear for all the tires you're gonna have to buy that you slice open.

how many times did he break the bead, rotate the tire, reseat it, and spin it again? if he knew what he was doing he should have done it at least once to give it a better shot, but it is a real pain in the a$$ and time consuming. i'd pull the weight off the other wheels and use airsoft in all of them.

AZXJ said:
12 to 18 OZ of air soft pellets per tire.

you're probably right about that, but i know i've seen a chart of tire size vs. weight of pellets to add to each tire.

i did it for mine and it helped.

I have seen places use a tire groover and cut some tread off the heavy side to get them within about 6 ounces of being balanced. Then add the amount air soft pellets of weight the tire was still out of balance and it seems to work well. Spinning the tire on the balancer to see how far out of balance it is will show how much air soft pellets should be added.

AZXJ said:
12 to 18 OZ of air soft pellets per tire.
FWIW my 34" ltbs only took 8oz

i had a set of soft 8 ( made by cragar) that i had toyo at/s on and they were hard to balance, when i got new wheels the tires took less then 1/4 oz per tire, i know the ltb's are hard to balance, part of it might be the wheels also

emr1101 said:
wow i didnt know there was a specific amount that you needed to add, i just figured a handfull of BBs would do the trick

Wrong - search around, different tire sizes typically require different amounts of BB's.

Back