• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wipers don't work... can I do this...

AboveNBeyond

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
My wipers don't work, it looks like all my fuses are good but still no wipey...
Has anyone manually wired in a 3 way switch? I know I will just have low and high but it is better then nothing...

I am looking for a blinker/wiper switch, but in the mean time considering it is Monsoon season here in northern AZ I should get something sooner then later.

what year XJ?

the Renix wiring has the intermediate settings in a plug in box in-line with the wiper motor... sometimes this 'box' can fail, and removing it makes the wipers work with hi / low / off...

Are you sure it is the switches problem that needs to be addressed?

Have you checked to see that the wiper motor itself isnt bad?

My 90 only has a Hi/low/off setting and its not too bad but i do wish i had intermit settings.

XJ_ranger said:
what year XJ?

the Renix wiring has the intermediate settings in a plug in box in-line with the wiper motor... sometimes this 'box' can fail, and removing it makes the wipers work with hi / low / off...

Is there a way to retro fit that box in. I have already swap a steering colume in

swbooking said:
Are you sure it is the switches problem that needs to be addressed?

Have you checked to see that the wiper motor itself isnt bad?

No

No

I have looked into it none other then looking at the fuses, but I need them up asap because the rain we get... I have already had to pull over several times on different occasions in the last week. Even with Rain-X.

madmax said:
Is there a way to retro fit that box in. I have already swap a steering colume in

you can add intermittent, the wiper control box just plugs in between the existing harness connector. but you do need to swap out the existing switch(in the steering column) and switch arm for intermittent ones. ive done this to my 90 and its not too hard. if the steering column you swapped in already has the intermittent wipers, all you need in the black box under the dash.

OP, i would also suggest you check this black box. its right under the steering column, velcroed to the backside of the lower dash panel. it could just be a loose connection, if not try taking the box out and just plugging the two wires together(this will eliminate intermittent, but hi/lo should remain)

Back