• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross member bolts stripped... please read.

AboveNBeyond

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
I recently noticed the cross member was down a bit from the frame, so I go to tighten it and find out it is striped. What I really have is 2 that are stripped. One on each side. Well I can't imagine this is good, only one bolt on each side??

What do you think can be done?

I was thinking about maybe sticking in studs and welding then in, then just using nuts for now on?

Otherwise I could tap it larger and use new bolts? But on the inside of the rail I am assuming there is a nut welded in place and thats what stripped??

Anyways, anyone have some ideas or tips of what would be best?

yup this has been covered many times... a search would help out.

But the easiest way is to tap it to a larger bolt and use that. Normally its the threads that have stripped, not the actual nut that has broken loose in there.

Ive had 2 rigs do that to me with the stock member on there.

Oh my.. Sorry guys, I usually search everything first but I thought this wold not have been a common issue...

Sorry.

I wish you could just delete the thread afterwards..

Wildmatt said:
Try searching, that usually helps

he isnt asking "what tires can i run on a 3" lift", he is asking a pretty unique question if you cant help him stay off his thread.

Are the stripped bolts diagonal from each other or across? If they are across you need to fix it asap or else it will fold and bend the remaining two...

You know WildMatt, emr1101 has a point, and like I said I thought it would not be a common issue, so as you suggested I searched for "crossmember" you know what there was like 4 hits, Although I appreciate your advice like emr1101 has said, you practically flamed me with your big 97th post for something really not discussed much anyways, so ease up :twak:.

Here are a few helpful links...

http://www.luckydevil.com/jeep/2000_cherokee/image_display.asp?strSourcePage=/jeep/2000_cherokee/suspension.asp&strStep=35

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=910048&highlight=corssmember

Last edited:
emr1101 said:
Are the stripped bolts diagonal from each other or across? If they are across you need to fix it asap or else it will fold and bend the remaining two...

I will look when I head home, but I do not think so, I think one the stud is gone, and the other is the nut (nutsert) is striped.

I think I might do whats in the link and drill out the hole enough to weld in grade 8 nuts maybe all the way around being one stud is gone already (I think).

Sounds easier, maybe I will look into that, see how it goes and if it goes bad I will pull the welder and grade 8's out.

I will let you all know know how it goes and post progress pics.

If it goes poorly, return to this thread for further instruction. :)

Jes said:
That's what I did years ago when I had the stock style cross member mounting.

Ditto. I did it years ago and no further problems. Tapping stripped crossmember nutserts out to 7/16's and using the larger bolt is such an old and common fix that I guess few even remember it. :)

In fact, I still carry a 7/16's tap in my tool box to fix other folks stripped crossmember nutserts on the trail.......been carrying it for probably 10 years.

Back