• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Leak

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I have develop a leak that has progressively gotten worse. I noticed that it is actually running a little down the exhaust manifold next to the engine. Any ideas on where it maybe coming from? I'm thinking the seal of the oil pan? Whats the level of skill required to change the oil pan seal?

The manifold or the downpipe? Are you talking about the portion of the exhaust that runs under the engine near the transmission? If so a common problem that will cause oil to end up there is the rear main seal. You may also be getting oil draining down from the back of the valve cover gasket or the oil filter gaskets.
None of these fixes is very hard, though the rear main can get kinda tricky if you've never done it before.

And it's more than likely NOT going to be the head gasket.

its probably the rear main seal, mine was leaking and causing a huge cloud of smoke all around me everytime i stopped because huge amounts of oil were leaking onto the exhaust pipe. Its actually a pretty easy fix if your mechanically inclined, they have some great write ups here, do a search. oh yeah, it costs about $1,000 if you have it done at a shop:bawl: so its definatly worth doing yourself.

JeepXJforever said:
its probably the rear main seal, mine was leaking and causing a huge cloud of smoke all around me everytime i stopped because huge amounts of oil were leaking onto the exhaust pipe. Its actually a pretty easy fix if your mechanically inclined, they have some great write ups here, do a search. oh yeah, it costs about $1,000 if you have it done at a shop:bawl: so its definatly worth doing yourself.
You seriously paid a grand for a rear main seal?

JeepXJforever said:

I'm assuming the money is all in the labor as in theres a number of things to remove to get to the seal.

mavrick said:
I'm assuming the money is all in the labor as in theres a number of things to remove to get to the seal.
If that is all labor the mechanic must have hands made of gold. I only paid $500(parts and labor) for my new headgasket. And before I had it replaced I had the same problem that you are having. Take it to a mechanic and have them put some of the black light additive to the oil and then drive it for a while and check for the leak source with a black light.

Screw a mechanic, go to the parts store get new valve cover gasket (not cork), 1 piece oil pan gasket, rear main seal, oil and oil filter. Will only be about $100 then give yourself a weekend to do it in the driveway and it's taken care of.

Back