• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heavy duty d35 kit

Nuke Proof

NAXJA Forum User
searched and really couldn't find a "kit." I was told there is a company (probably Currie but I can't find anything) that makes a heavy duty kit that replaces the axles, bearings, differential, etc.

Does this exsist?, and is it worth it?

Now I know there is nothing I can do to make a 35 as strong as a 44, 60, 14 bolt or a rockwell 2.5.:eyes: , I am just looking to bide my time until I can get a 44 under my rig.

thanks

Last edited:
dude $1100 for a super 35 that shit will be garbage anyway, spend your money on an 8.8. Youll get 4.10s and for that price you could pay someone to do EVERYTHING for you and even serve you beer while you do it!

NO! It's not worth it! You can upgrade to a 44, 9", 8.8", or even a 60 for the price you'll pay for a super 35 kit. The easiest thing to do would just be to shop ebay, craigslist, junk yards, classified ads, etc. for an XJ Dana 44. That may or may not fit your needs, but it's exponentially better than a Super 35. Depending on your mechanical aptitude and willingness to do the work, you can build a 9" or 60 for less than a super 35 kit. For what it's worth, I'm into my 9" under $500, including the used axle purchase, a used Detroit locker, new 4.86 gears and install kit, and a disk brake conversion with all-new parts.

I've never understood the Super/Ultimate 35 concept. I really think they're marketed toward the guys with more money than brains. :dunno:

Like has already been said, you can have a nice *real* axle for less money.

darincraft said:
searched and really couldn't find a "kit." I was told there is a company (probably Currie but I can't find anything) that makes a heavy duty kit that replaces the axles, bearings, differential, etc.

Does this exsist?, and is it worth it?

Now I know there is nothing I can do to make a 35 as strong as a 44, 60, 14 bolt or a rockwell 2.5.:eyes: , I am just looking to bide my time until I can get a 44 under my rig.

thanks
dont waste your money on it, i wouldnt even spend 10 bucks to change the oil in it

anyone searching for d35 topics MUST have come accross the general consensus on d35s.... so, are you ignoring this? or are you just the man whos gonna tame the dana35?

seriously though, just go easy on it(unless you got a trailer, or only wheel on your buddys ranch), till you can get a d44 or ford 8.8 in there.... the xj d44 is easier and widely available, despite what people say.

what tires you run and what kinda terrain?

That was the whole reason for the post, was to find out if it actually worked and how much it was.

This is my first XJ and am still learning a quite a bit here and there...............now I am looking for ever elusive D44. Can't find one and I am in the process of researching to find out what vehicles they came in that are the same width as the XJ-----I hate cutting housing ends off, its like doing Calculus all over again......:rattle:

darincraft said:
That was the whole reason for the post, was to find out if it actually worked and how much it was.

This is my first XJ and am still learning a quite a bit here and there...............now I am looking for ever elusive D44. Can't find one and I am in the process of researching to find out what vehicles they came in that are the same width as the XJ-----I hate cutting housing ends off, its like doing Calculus all over again......:rattle:

Sounds like you need to do more searching and reading.. But hopefully I can give you a place to start.

There are two D44's that have a similar WMS width as a stock axle. They are from Wagoneers (late 80's) and Isuzu Rodeo's (mid/late 90's). The problem with these axles are the bolt pattern; 6x5.5 as opposed to the stock 5x4.5. This opens up a whole can of worms that can be solved a few different ways..

Your other, and probably the best option if you cant find a Cherokee 44, is a 8.8 from a ford explorer. Search around... I would venture a guess that more people swap 8.8's around here than most any other axle.

-jm

x a million on the 8.8.

In this area you can pick one up from a late 90's/early 00's with disk brakes, 4.10's and a limited slip for about $250. Its 10 times stronger than the D35 and disk brakes make a world of difference on an XJ. The phrase "Polishing a Turd" best describes your situation right now. :peace:

darincraft said:

don't forget MJ's, that is where I got mine. you just have to cut and weld spring perches and shock mounts, but you can do it at the right angle for your lift that way

darincraft said:

Check the SoCal chapter for-sale forum, there are 2-3 d44's there per week. If you don't want to pay $350 for one, hop in your XJ, drive to long beach on a saturday morning and pull one yourself - there is a 44 in the yard almost every week.

cal said:
Check the SoCal chapter for-sale forum, there are 2-3 d44's there per week. If you don't want to pay $350 for one, hop in your XJ, drive to long beach on a saturday morning and pull one yourself - there is a 44 in the yard almost every week.

X2
ANYONE who cant find a d44 is either not looking hard enough, or just plain unlucky, i pass em up at the yards allmost everytime im there

Back