• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer advice?

mud1059

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm looking at a 16-18 ft beavertail trailer for my POS. Mostly just because it's a POS and it's streetablity is lacking horribly. I was hoping someone here in WA has some advice on where I'd be able go get a good deal on a trailer (new). I plan on getting it this week, so hopefully a dealer that doesn't require me to order it.

I will calling Bullydog down in Chehalis tomorrow so mileage isn't too much of a factor as long as it's a quality trailer for a decent price. Thanks for any help guys.

Paul

18 ft beaver tails are easy to find all over the place new at dealers, usually in the 10K - 14K load range. Finding something shorter or less weight will be difficult.

They usually run somewhere in the $3K - $4k area depending on what options and frame construction and weight capabilities.

Are you just wanting to tow your jeep? What are you towing it with? hitch style?

I would recommend calling around and deciding exactly what you want (weight, wheel size, length, deck height, beaver length, etc) and getting quotes on the phone from all of them. There is a guy in central OR that does build custom trailers also if you can not find exactly what you like.

Michael

get on our board (pnwjeep.com) or nw-wheelers and send a PM to XJoe. He just bought a trailer like two weeks ago, after shopping all over for the best price. I think he paid right at $2K brand new, out the door, tax, license, etc.

J

I'm pulling the trailer with my '96 K1500 ext cab short bed. It's running stock gearing with 35s. Engine and tranny are both beefed. The trailer's going to be strictly for the XJ at this moment.

Stopped at VR Sales in Puyallup and Freeway trailer on the way home today. VR was a waste of time, they carried virtually nothing but enclosed and only ordered car haulers from Spectre in Tacoma anyway. So I guess I'm swinging by them and the place off 167 tomorrow. Freeway seemed good, they had a 16ft flatbed for $2098.00 and beavertail 18 ft for $2598.00 along with 90 days same as cash. VR wanted 15-20% more on everything. I'll sign up for PNWJeep now and PM Joe. Thanks for your input guys!

Check out Olympic trailer in Fife. Lacey or Chehalis. They sell PJ brand trailers. Good prices, in stock, and comparable to bulldog. I just bought a 16 ft flat last Thursday and towed my XJ to Libertybehind my RV. I am extremely satisfied with it. Got mine in Lacey. See Dirk.

I am not ready (don't have space), but it is good to hear all of the input for trailers and the companies that are selling them.

Here's a rundown of what I have put together so far:
Beavertails are HARD to comeby on a short notice timeframe.
The most common is a 16ft flat with electric brakes. Unsure of bulldog's but the rest had the slide in hiding ramps with flush lighting in the back
Here's the 16 ft pricing:

VR in Puyallup $2400 (ordered only - 8 weeks!)
Freeway Trailer in Milton: $2100 (many in stock)
Bulldog in Chehalis: $1800 (I called today and none finished till tomorrow)
Canopies plus trailers off 167: $2300 (several stock)
Olympic in Fife: $2100 (in stock) Plus lots of options for upgrades!

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
What GVW?
7K, I assume?

You might want to consider a 10K. Usually not that much more. Just a comment.

Michael

I really don't see the point although I have considered it. My current setup (tow rig) wouldn't be able to handle 10k anyways. I figure if I can afford a new truck I can afford a bigger and better trailer. Until then 7k or 7.7k will do just fine I think. The Cherokee would be the biggest thing I haul anyway.

My research has found that it is about $200 more for the 10K over the 7K.
You have a very good point that you might not be able to tow that with your current tow rig. Just another thought, what happens when you want to tow your tow rig?

Michael

LOL it better not!! I was thinkin that as I posted last too. Umm, then I REALLY don't have anything to tow it except a buddies rig, and he's got a 12k trailer for his tractor. I spose I'd have to mooch both at that point and take the Jeep to work.

Makes sense. Just making sure you have considered the concepts.
Michael

Back