• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what to do to upgrade breaks?

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 29 spline chryco 8.25 with yukon gears(4.56) and am currently running 33x12.5" bfg mt's. as it sits right now it can break alright when i need it but it definately could be better. i'm getting 35x12.5's in a couple weeks and was wondering if my breaks will be able to stop with the increase in tire size? also, what are my options for upgrading the breaks? i really would like to do as little as possible but have heard something about getting a new master cylinder that has a dual diaphram out of a zj? i would consider the rear disc break conversion but not if its too much work(like more than a days work and easy parts to find) thanks guys:rof:

i've heard that its easy to just swap in the master cylinder from a zj but my only concern is the fact that my jeep has ABS. its all disconnected though because my front and rear axles are not origional and they do not have ABS. I just disconnected the sensors at the wheels and left it at that but when i tried pulling all the fuses under the hoo that were related to the ABS(there are about 4 or 5 of them) the breaks got even worse and almost non existant. so i put them back in. when i push the breaks i can hear the ABS pump under the hood. any suggestions?

pull the maxi (very large) fuses in the power distrobution center under the hood. I took out the fuses and the relay that was marked with ABS out of my 95 and i have had no issues.

What year is your rig? prior to 95 the xj came with a smaller booster. after 95 they were all the larger dual diaphram booster. If your xj is pre 95 then swapping for a xj dual diaphram booster will help out a lot im told.

as far as upgrading your brakes, you have a number of options. info on the boosters and brake upgrades can be found by searching.

some members have done a wj front brake set up. its not exactly a bolt in mod. i, as many before me, have done a rear disk conversion on my 8.25 rear axle. i used parts off of a zj D44a with disk brakes. the swap was rediculously easy. its just a matter of enarging the center hole in the backing plate about as much as a half a hair on an ants ass and slightly more on the bolt holes. i took my time with plenty of "hydration" and smoke brakes and i had everything done in an afternoon using my dremel tool. other members have done the crown vic rear disk upgrades.

i am glad that i was wearing my seat belt when i test drove it afterwards. with 4.56 gears and 31s the jeep definitely reacted to me standing on the brake pedel unlike before. overall i am completely satisfied with the rear disk brake upgrade.

hth
stewie

yeah, mine is a 91'. so all i have to do is find a master cylinder out of a 95+ xj and swap it in. i don't have to worry about anything to do with the ABS system?

i'm not all that familiar with ABS systems and it looks scarey. how would i pull it out, aren't there other things that have to be taken out and disconnected too?

1. Learn how to spell brakes.

2. Research the WJ brake booster and master cylinder swap. I even did a write up to help you with your quest for better breaks.:shhh:

3. Once you do the swap be ready to lock up 35s.

I didn't think the 91's came with abs I thought they didn't incorporate that until the 95/96 changes because I know my 92 sport doesn't have abs.

ABS was an option. I replaced the front u-joints for a friend of mine, his wife has a 92 XJ with ABS.

mitsumotors said:
yeah, mine is a 91'. so all i have to do is find a master cylinder out of a 95+ xj and swap it in. i don't have to worry about anything to do with the ABS system?

No, you need to swap in a dual diaphragm booster, and a MC that was intended for the new booster; the MC's for single diaphragm boosters won't properly seal against the new booster.

I have a 93 xj sport that i just bought last week, (my first I'm just breaking into the off-road game) and I'm not too familiar with mc's. I realize that this is going to seem an incredibly stupid question; but I noticed that my brake fluid res 2 separate reservoirs thats the dual diaphragm booster right? (like i said stupid question but i want to make sure b4 i go to pick-n-pull and rip the brake system of a crown vic just to have it not work right) btw what year crown vic should i look for?

vigman said:
I have a 93 xj sport that i just bought last week, (my first I'm just breaking into the off-road game) and I'm not too familiar with mc's. I realize that this is going to seem an incredibly stupid question; but I noticed that my brake fluid res 2 separate reservoirs thats the dual diaphragm booster right? (like i said stupid question but i want to make sure b4 i go to pick-n-pull and rip the brake system of a crown vic just to have it not work right) btw what year crown vic should i look for?

No, the seperated reservoirs were used on both single and double diaphragm boosters...one section for the front brakes and the other for the rear. It wasn't until the later models that they started using a small plastic tank on top of the master cylinder so you didn't have to fill each chamber seperately.

Wm

mitsumotors said:

Almost right! You need a 95-96 booster. After 96 they changed the pedal assembly and the post from the booster to the pedal is too long without mods. The 95-96 is dual diaphragm and, short of adapters for the lines to the proportioning valve, is bolt in.

Back