• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To Adjust Timing on Renix 4.0?

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
My motors backin and running, however i think the timing is a little off, it tendes to spit and sputter while driving in all rpm ranges. it did the same only a million times worse when the timing was way off. How can i adjust the timing to make it run smooth? I dont want to screw anythig up, i really need this rig.

sounds just like you are one tooth out. remember the rotor must just pass the #1 mark on the cap

I just took it for a spin and the miss/bucking goes away under load no mater what gear? maybeits a vaccum leak,

jk333 said:
I just took it for a spin and the miss/bucking goes away under load no mater what gear? maybeits a vaccum leak,

under ike hard accell?

bcmaxx said:
under ike hard accell?
no just about a little more than cruiising, but come to think about it, it sounds more like the timing to me. than anything. how am i supposed to adjust it? move the rotor to just past wheere it says #1?

jk333 said:
no just about a little more than cruiising, but come to think about it, it sounds more like the timing to me. than anything. how am i supposed to adjust it? move the rotor to just past wheere it says #1?
Yup, I went though this, Had the friggin thing in and out I bet a dozen times, then I read the fsm. Thought I had lost my mind. used to old chebbies I guess

just went through my Haynes manual, and i cant find where it says to adjust eht timing on the 4.0, it has it for the 2.8 and 2.5 only, wtf?

The ignition timing is not adjustable, it controlled by the Renix ECU computer.

The basic hardware timing must be correct, like the rotor needing to be close to #1 pin on the cap at TDC, 0 Degrees, on the compression stroke for Cyl #1. IF it is off by one tooth, it will run, but not well. You could be off one tooth since it runs better under acceleration (when the computer changes the spark timing).

Other things could be causing your problem too, like a sticky injector, vacuum leak near the map sensor vacuum line.......

Back