• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

regearing drama..HELP!!

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,
i finally got everything in and went to bolt the carrier back in and im having a bit of an issue....the passenger side bolts right in and everything turns smoothly... the drivers side is my issue. once i tighten the bolts even finger tight i cant spin the gears at all...not even a wiggle. the race is the same as the other side so i dont see why is wouldnt fit...any ideas??
thanks,
jac

Did you make sure you have the races on the same orientation as they came out?

yup... i just pulled the carrier out and put the races in with the cover over them and it worked just fine...put the carrier back in and the same thing...the cover wont go on and locks it all up.

i think i just figured it out...yes its my first time...but i took the pinion to a diff/axle guy for help... my old pinion was at a +3, and my new one is at a 0, the dana chart says the new shim should be a .03 and i think they got the wrong spacer on and its way to deep cuz its THICK!! ...

jmeti000 said:
yup... i just pulled the carrier out and put the races in with the cover over them and it worked just fine...put the carrier back in and the same thing...the cover wont go on and locks it all up.

The bearing caps need to be put on with the same side & orientation as they had originally. Sounds like you're not doing that.

oops... sorry bout that...lol...anyways, nope its all one right, i took the pinion back and they had in fact put the wrong shim on...it was waaaaayyyyyy to thick, after they put the right one on i put it back together again and lo and behold it works perfectly...

Okay it spins finally. you can put the bearing end caps on and the differential turns. That doesn't mean it works perfectly. there are a couple of other things to concern yourself with still. Like pinion depth, gear pattern, backlash, ring gear runout, and pinion preload (if not crush sleeved).
Also the bearing end caps need to be torqued down using red lock-tite, just like the ring gear bolts were. right?

Just concerned you may have shorted yourself a step or two.

Back