• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead console - simple question

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
I have my whole dash ripped apart on my 96 XJ trying to find a plug to hook up this overhead console...i did the same thing on one in the junkyard and the plug came off of the main wiring harness

for anyone who has done this.......where is the plug to connect to?

I have lights working, but no compass or temerature....does my XJ even have those sensors from the factory??

benulis55 said:
I have my whole dash ripped apart on my 96 XJ trying to find a plug to hook up this overhead console...i did the same thing on one in the junkyard and the plug came off of the main wiring harness

for anyone who has done this.......where is the plug to connect to?

I have lights working, but no compass or temerature....does my XJ even have those sensors from the factory??

you have to pull the temperature sensor from the xj you got the console from. its connected to a wire harness that plugs in right in front of the battery. all the plugs for the console are in the passenger side kick panel area.
edit: if you have the lights working the plug for the console should be in the same area as the plug for the lights.

tclapp_88 said:
you have to pull the temperature sensor from the xj you got the console from. its connected to a wire harness that plugs in right in front of the battery. all the plugs for the console are in the passenger side kick panel area.
edit: if you have the lights working the plug for the console should be in the same area as the plug for the lights.

Too add to this, just match wire colors if you need to out of the right kick panel.

i wish it was that simple....the wires just aint there..i guess i will dig some more...i ripped alot apart so far so no reason to turn back now

benulis55 said:
i wish it was that simple....the wires just aint there..i guess i will dig some more...i ripped alot apart so far so no reason to turn back now
i pretty sure the plugs should be there. what model is yours? mine is a 96 sport and they were there, just tucked up under the dash or in the kick panel, i don't remember. they weren't hard too find though.

edit: wait what year did the console come from? a '96? if its from a '96 it should be plug and play so to speak. however, if its not from the same year as your xj ('96) then you will have to cut the plugs off and match the wires, i think. i'm not 100% positive on that last part but i think thats what i had read, but mine came from a '96 and went in a '96.

Last edited:
If the wires are not there I'm assuming you do not have power window's and locks. If thats the case that wiring harness was not put in and starts from the upper left of the dash. Let me know and I can look for my wiring diagram and tell you what color needs what.

Back