• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake light prob.

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed tonight that my brake lights were acting wierd. When i go to pump the brakes and hold them down the light will flash on and then cut off even though my foot is still on the brakes and sometimes it will not even come on at all. and its like that on both brake lights, so im thinking its not the bulbs and there is a shortage somewhere. but where should i start the search??? thanks

start with the switch, yes. but finish with cleaning all the connections in the tailights. those sockets get corroded and get shorts that can cause all sorts of squirelly behavior.

well i havent had time to mess with them yet but today im gonna take the tail lights apart and check em out. you think its possible that i blew a fuse? i havent checked that yet and i think im gonna just replace the bulbs anyways. i just dont want to get pulled over by the Po Po. and i have to have my jeep everyday.

Langer gave you the answer. Its 95% of the time your brake light switch. In what you described I am willing to say its what is exactly wrong with it. Good Luck

well me and my buddy were looking at it and he brought out his tester and theres no power even going to the switch. so doesnt that mean its not the switch? and its not the fuse and its not the bulb. we are gonna look at it later but have no idea whats wrong with it

i think we tested the wire leading to the switch with the brake pressed down and we got nothing, but my dad picked up a new switch so he is gonna put that on when he gets back and see if that helped any.

It can also be your Hazard flasher, looks like power flow is "From the fuse"to "To the hazard flasher" then to the Brake SW.
So power AT the fuse but NOT at the Brake Switch leaves the Hazard flasher.

Forget that the stoplights don't flash.

Last edited:
The switch will make it a complete circuit and should solve your problem. If it doesn't, the fuse block is the next place to look/ I dont know if yours is a manual but An engineering flaw with the manual tranny is if the master for the clutch leaks a little fluid it goes all over the back of the fuse block and starts disintigrating the plastic and your fuses slowly but surely it ruins the whole fuse block. If this is the case be tahnkful you caught it early. (ask me how I know :) ) Oh well I digress. Good Luck,

ok my buddy just called me and wanted me to tell you guys this... There is no power going to the brake light switch. There is power going to the turn signal switch but the turn signals do not work in the rear but DO work in the front. any ideas?

Back