• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Seats

Peter D

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever swap out their stock seats for something different? I want to put in vinyl seats. Does Bestop make vinyl seats for XJs? Or can I buy a set of TJ seats and still use the factory tracks, etc. I don't want anything custom, just a nice normal looking pair of seats, front and rear. Anybody know of anyone who makes such a thing? Thanks.

Peter

Your options depend on what year you have and the kind of seats you want. From 84-94 the seat mounts are unique to the XJ, and 95+ used the same floorboard mounts as the Grand Cherokee. There is very little aftermarket support for either generation, and no aftermarket source for power seats.

The Corbeau "Sport" seat is a pretty straightforward reclining seat, and they make a bracket for the XJ.

I ended up fabricating my own mounts and put fully-powered heated leather seats from a Blazer into my '91

Interesting. I have a 2000, 4 door. I'll tell you what I'd really like to do is find a nice pair of seats from either a Pioneer or a Cherokee Chief (XJ body not FSJ) and put those in, front and rear. Does anybody know if those can be re-mounted into a Y2K Cherokee? Also, where's a good place to look for something like that?

Peter D said:
Interesting. I have a 2000, 4 door. I'll tell you what I'd really like to do is find a nice pair of seats from either a Pioneer or a Cherokee Chief (XJ body not FSJ) and put those in, front and rear. Does anybody know if those can be re-mounted into a Y2K Cherokee? Also, where's a good place to look for something like that?
I will be quite honest with you...my 90 Pioneer came with the seats you speak of, they are the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat in. Your 2000 Sport seats are light years ahead of those, you really don't want to downgrade. If you wanted a set of the older style seats, the only ones I would go with would be from a 1987-1992 Cherokee Limited. These are the charcoal gray leather type that have "wings" on the side that hold you in place while driving. The only problem is, this type is not going to bolt up to your bases, so you'd have to build an adapter of some sort. If I were you, I would go with Grand Cherokee seats, they are much more comfortable.

The older cloth seats are really comfy. The ones that came in the Laredo model had the wings too. All the seat frames have the wings but only the better models have better padding and thicker material. I added lumbar supports and rear seat headrests with the info and write ups found on here. But with a 96 up I would go with GC seats.

I am working on stuffing some seats from a 2003 Grand Cherokee in my '91 XJ, they definitely don't bolt right in, but they can be made to fit-both front and rear. The ones I found are Columbia Edition, two tone cloth.

I have 96 Grand seats in the front of my 94 XJ

all you have to do is make an adapter plate to get them in. Welding is required.

IM002499.jpg

Feva said:
Any body have pics of 95+ XJ with ZJ seat swap?
This is my 99 with WJ front seats...

WJSeatsin99003.jpg

WJSeatsin99001.jpg

Not the greatest pictures in the world but should give you an idea.

Feva said:
What brackets did you use? Or do they bolt right up?
They bolt right up to any 95+ XJ base.

I almost bought an XJ with CRX seats in it. Other than the brackets they made were WAY to tall. The seats were unreal kinda comfy. If I ever find a decent pair of CRX seats I'm putting them in mine, with beter brackets of course.

Back