• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good quality OEM heavy duty rear leafs

RobEmenecker

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

New member and first time poster. My back leafs are shot and desperately need replacing. I have a 2" budget boost on the XJ and am not ready yet (lacking in funds) to further lift the vehicle with a new suspension, so I'm looking at just replacement the original rear leaf springs (and bushings).

I've looked at Quadratec (http://tinyurl.com/666nje).They have heavy duty leaf springs for $75/each and also sell the replacement bushings.

JC Whitney also has heavy duty springs (http://tinyurl.com/6ztnvv). Theirs go for $88/each, but they don't appear to sell bushings... and they don't include them.

Chrysler Parts Direct had a price of $192 for heavy duty leaf springs. (Holy crap!).

So, anyone out there bought/installed/rode on any of these and if so, what did you think?

...Rob

For what it's worth, shipping might be a substantial portion of the cost, if that's important to you. JC Whitney does free shipping every once in a while (I think I have an email code from them right now).

Thanks Jonathan. That's good to know. The free shipping definitely makes up for more than the difference. I did read a good review of their leaf springs. I was also curious about their leaf springs because they sell a set that is specifically made for the 99 XJ.

This also begs another question... are rear leaf spring bushings for an XJ a specific "size/specification"? In other words, can I purchase any aftermarket bushing (OME, RE, etc.) and they will fit? And, if so, what are good quality recommended bushings?

...Rob

Last edited:
I just finished putting the Quadratech springs on my 2000. Haven't even drove it yet. The rear definitely sits where it looks like it should now.

Tips:
--Take the bushings and springs to a shop with a press. Took them 20 mins to do what I had been working on for a total of 4 hours, not counting the 14 hours I had the bushings in the freezer.
--PB Blaster works wonders.
--A Dremel tool will cut the eye off the old leaf to get at the metal sleeve when it's become seized to the front bolt.
--Don't try to use a 3/8in ratchet to break loose the front bolt--the ratchet will lose.

winkosmosis said:
Why not get Old Man Emu springs and take out the budget boost. Is it a shackle or what?
My future "growth plan" was to add in Old Man Emu in the front and rear -- shocks, springs, steering stabilizer, adj trac bar, etc. I'm starting to save up the sheckles to add this in to the existing budget boost.

The existing rear has 1.5" greasable shackles and a 0.5" trim pack between the axle and leaf springs. There are also bar pin eliminators that are providing about 1" of shock extension.

The front has 2" coil spring spacers, bar pin eliminators, and quick disconnects.

It will be about a year before I can have all of the funds and parts assembled, with a slush fund for an SYE and other front end adjustments, which will likely be necessary at 4-4.5 inches.

Your suggestion hit me like a brick upside the head. Take out the existing shackle and possibly the trim block, hold them until I'm ready to do the full lift with the front, and use OME springs in the back for the time being.

It's a good suggestion! Thanks!

FYI... Here is what the ride currently looks like sitting on a level driveway.

IMG_3108_640x480.jpg

And below is a close-up of the rear leaf-spring. This photo was taken with the vehicle unloaded, 4 gallons of gas in the tank, and no other weight. Also keep in mind that the XJ does not have any heavy armor on it!

IMG_3112_640x480.jpg

Oy! Those springs are saggier than granny pants!

Rob

Last edited:
I just got done replacing the leafs on my '88 Cherokee. I bought the springs and bushings from Quadratec. The ride is a little stiff but should keep the height when towing a trailer.

The original leafs were worse than your photo. They were inverted with no load.

Back