• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shifting in/out of 4x4

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
my 91' xj with a aw4 and 242 transfer case does not like to shift in and out of 4x4. it usually will shift into 4hi without any problems but then it takes a bit of messing around to get it into full time or 4lo. and getting it back into 2wd is really tough, i usually have to drive back and forth, shifting in to nuetral, drive, and reverse a bunch of times and shifting the transfer case back and forth and it finally goes into 2wd. are there any common problems with these transfer cases, or anything that you could suggest checking? thanks:eeks1:

First thing to check is tire pressure and wear. If there is enough difference between front and rear, it will put tension on the driveline, and although it will usually go in to 4WD, it can be hard to get out if it's binding.

I have the same problem getting back in 2wd as you. I was told that its fairly common with Jeeps. I have a friend that has a 2002 Sahara and his does the same thing with the 231 so I guess its one of the down falls of owning a good 4wd.

Same issue with my 242, just not as bad.

I take it out of full time 4x4 to 2wd and the lever won't go all the way to 2wd, close but not all the way.

I drive a little bit and check it and it pops down the additional 1/4 inch. At that point I know I'm out of 4x4. I have to make sure that if I am taking it out of full time 4x4 that I will be driving straight for awhile, because it is really in part time 4x4. You can feel the front tires binding if you try to turn it.

This is probably what stretched my chain.

Remove center console

Place 1/8 inch shim between transfer case lever and shift gate while in 4LO

Raise and safely support vehicle

Loosen the trunion nut on shifter rod

Assure that the shifter rod is free to rotate in the linkage

Adjust as necessary

TIghten trunnion nut

Lower vehicle

im stuck in 4 lo now can i do that to fix my problem or should i just get a posi lock will that fix it???

:huh:
t-frady said:
im stuck in 4 lo now can i do that to fix my problem or should i just get a posi lock will that fix it???
:huh:

t-frady said:

Raise the body, roll frame, drive train etc... out from under it.

Now roll a new frame, drive train etc... under the lifted body.

Lower body, bolt on, happy motoring...

OMG! Fix the transfer case. :laugh2:

Back