• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front brake problem? (extreme heat)

searchingforXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I just bought a 99 4-door sport and the day after I got it I noticed smoke coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. The brake rotor dust sheild was bent and touching the rubber that holds the grease in the tie rod (or drag link?) end, which it melted through and the grease that ended up on it was basically boiling and smoking.

1. What could make that part get so hot?
2. If it got that hot, do I need to worry about the oil or seals on the axle?
3. Could the caliper be sticking and constantly touching the rotor?
4. Could a bearing make this kind of heat without making any significant noise?

I have noticed that after using the brakes regularly for 5-10 minutes it causes a pull to the driver side when the brakes are applied. I'm wondering if the pads on the passenger side are getting too hot and losing their grip. Once I park the vehicle for a bit this goes away and comes back if I use the brakes enough.

I just got back from a 300-mile trip which was mostly on the highway and I didn't have any problems.

I believe the pads and rotors where replaced in May of this year.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

You nailed it with #3. The caliper is sticking and keeping the pads in contact with the rotor. It could be a bad caliper or there could be some rather deep divots worn in steering knuckle at the brake pad contact points causing the pad to hang up. The heb bearing is probably OK, but watch it for play. The diff seals and oil are way in at the carrier, so they are fine.

Back