• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery group size 98

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
My red top finally died, it's down in philly with my daughter. What is the standard size group and what is an optional group. The local Advanced does not have their listed one only another that the parts guy says is 1" higher.

34-78 is what is in all of my XJ,s 87,96,98

Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
34-78 is what is in all of my XJ,s 87,96,98

Wayne

Thanks, just wanted to verify before I went to pick it up, heading out at 0500 to get her up and running again. They don't have the 25 in stock, only the 34, just worried about hood clearance, looks to be an inch taller.

I'm not familiar with the sizing on batteries, but I have a battery that is a tad smaller in footprint, but taller overall. I have quick-release batt clamps (wing nut type) and depending how the clamps are oriented the wing nuts will rub the hood, other than that, no problems.

x2, never used anything but a series 34/78...thought that was pretty standard for our jeeps...?

JNickel101 said:
x2, never used anything but a series 34/78...thought that was pretty standard for our jeeps...?

I just did not remember what size I bought, that was almost 7 years ago now.

The OE fit battery for a jeep cherokee is supposed to either be a 34 series for the newer jeeps, and a 58 series for the pre 1996. I worked there for like 3 years. 58-whatever is the proper group size, and they should have 20odd in stock since quite a few cars use the same batt. Same for the 34 series

Yea, I just picked up a 34 for $120, comes with a $25 mail in rebate so $99 was OK, it's what I paid 7 years ago when I red topped all three jeeps on the same day, just the other two were TJ's and I was not sure if they took the same size, like I said, 7 years ago...

LOL, ok, I gotcha...I thought it was the parts store giving you the run-around...my bad! :thumbup:

Back