• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan shroud

88 Wagonman

NAXJA Forum User
The fan shroud for my mechanical fan is missing, and I was wondering how much difference it would make by putting a new one in. I cools ok, but at idle the e-fan comes on in 85* weather. The main reason I am asking is because I didn't know if it would make a difference in my A/C operation. 1988 XJ, 4.0L

I know that I noticed a difference when wheeling and going slow when I didn't have mine on. When I got the jeep it didn't have one, however I do not have A/C so I am not sure how much more that would tax the system.

I went without a shroud for a while & got tired of nicking my fingers on the fan so I finally replaced it but it didn't seem to affect the cooling much on the highway but 2x on off-road.I had a couple of full size trucks that ran hot off road without a shroud & installing one was the fix.

A good shroud will make a huge difference on any vehicle. Most noticeable at low speed/high load conditions.

Went to the local JY and picked one up today, not a big difference in A\C operation, but my electric fan takes longer to turn on (A\C off) in city driving. Thanks for the input.

Back