• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doorless

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
just some pics of mine door less for those of you considering the mod. Its not a bad thing, as long as you have a reamer (just speaking for 97+ jeeps). I didn't ream out the body-side hinge to be the same size as the door-side hinge, thus mine sag. Otherwise they wouldn't sag. Takes 5 minutes on and off and that's with just me no help and not rushing. Easy to do with power options as well.
DSCN0769.jpg

DSCN0770.jpg

DSCN0771.jpg

DSCN0772.jpg

emr1101 said:
just some pics of mine door less for those of you considering the mod. Its not a bad thing, as long as you have a reamer (just speaking for 97+ jeeps). I didn't ream out the body-side hinge to be the same size as the door-side hinge, thus mine sag. Otherwise they wouldn't sag. Takes 5 minutes on and off and that's with just me no help and not rushing. Easy to do with power options as well.
DSCN0769.jpg

DSCN0770.jpg

DSCN0771.jpg

DSCN0772.jpg
Looks good, just make sure you're lifting up while they're on to close them, otherwise the area around the door latch will be in a world of hurt. Again though, good job, I highly approve!

ManBearPig said:
Im considering removing the doors and hatch.

The doors will pop right back on.
Once the hatch is off, it's pretty well off.

Robert

BIGSLVRXJ said:
Looks good, just make sure you're lifting up while they're on to close them, otherwise the area around the door latch will be in a world of hurt. Again though, good job, I highly approve!

Thanks man, yea thats how i do it. For the ladies i gotta get out and walk around and close it for them. At least untill i ream out the damn hinge :mad:

Robert 771 said:
The doors will pop right back on.
Once the hatch is off, it's pretty well off.

Robert

Agreed, if you wanna do it you gotta get a little dirty. It doesnt take long, if you have a dremmel you're good to go

ManBearPig said:
I was sittimg in my 2 door earlier with the doors and hatch wide open, and I liked it. Im considering removing the doors and hatch.

the hatch is one of the main structures of the jeep. taking it off could cause you huge problems. but if you have a cage you "should" be fine

emr1101 said:
also if you remove the hatch hardware its hard to re-align it upon re-install
x2 on everything said so far, plus the fact that the wiring for the hatch is an absolute pain to get snaked through everywhere.

How about a start to finish pics tread. Just the end result pics leave a lot of questions still for those who want to follow, myself included. Stuff like how you got the pins out, dealt with wiring, what size holes & bolts would be needed and any wisdom for the unexperienced.

robsjeepxj said:
wisdom for the unexperienced.

CRASH said:
Newbies, we love you, look here before posting.

NAXJA welcomes you to the best and biggest XJ information site on the web. We're happy to have you on board.

We have been in operation for some time now, and have developed a massive tech database made up of questions from people just like you. People who were not yet wise in the ways of the XJ. These questions were answered by the Yoda's of the NAXJA universe. All was well.

However, the NAXJA community has continued to grow. We now have nearly 40,000 registered users. All of them have questions about one topic or another, and more than likely that question has been addressed in the past. All of that information is available by searching the NAXJA database. The search feature is easy to find, it's right at the top of the page, under your name. It is an excellent feature, and will garner more information than you can possibly absorb at one time.

Thank you for your attention, and happy searching.

CRASH

Robert

robsjeepxj said:
How about a start to finish pics tread. Just the end result pics leave a lot of questions still for those who want to follow, myself included. Stuff like how you got the pins out, dealt with wiring, what size holes & bolts would be needed and any wisdom for the unexperienced.

Yea i know i didnt have access to a camera when i did it though, i can show you the thread i followed if i can find it. it makes it pretty easy for 97+ XJs. Only thing they dont mention is boreing-out the hinges to the same size so that they dont sag. BTW, you also gotta use like quick pins, regular threaded bolts will wear out over time, apart from bending pretty easily the threads get smashed down with little effort.

robsjeepxj said:
I'm doing that with my '91, but am not quite done so it will be another week or so.

Back