• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TQ spec for the axle nut?

Dark Knight

NAXJA Forum User
So I managed to shear off a stud on one of my unit bearings and I decided that I am just going to replace the whole deal since I have one laying in the random spare parts pile. Unfortunately I can't figure out what the hell I did with my repair manual. So I am hoping that someone can tell me what the torque spec is for the axle nut.

I usually crank down the nuts that hold the thing on to the knuckle to one 180lb redneck ft lbs of torque (aka put my weight into till it stops moving). But I know the axle nut is a little more sensitive. For some reason I am thinking that it is in the 170ft lb range but I can't remember.:doh:

<This is where you get a chance to post a link to a FAQ page that my searching missed and then get to make this n00b look like a bigger idiot.>

Here's what I've collected so far - http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/torque.html

Note - I doubt many of us have torque wrenches that go up to 200 pound-feet - most of us top out at 150 or so. TRICK - Use never-seez, and reduce torque by half. If you've got to do 180 pound-feet, never-seez the thing and torque to 90. The lubricity of the never-seez will make up for not torquing so far (the purpose of torque is to preload the fastener to a certain amount of stretch - lube the thing, and you don't need to turn so hard to get the same preload,) and that brings it to within range of your tools.

5-90 said:
Here's what I've collected so far - http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/torque.html

Note - I doubt many of us have torque wrenches that go up to 200 pound-feet - most of us top out at 150 or so. TRICK - Use never-seez, and reduce torque by half. If you've got to do 180 pound-feet, never-seez the thing and torque to 90. The lubricity of the never-seez will make up for not torquing so far (the purpose of torque is to preload the fastener to a certain amount of stretch - lube the thing, and you don't need to turn so hard to get the same preload,) and that brings it to within range of your tools.
X2--this worked very nicely for me just recently.

Back