• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nancy Pelosi won't allow the House to vote on new offshore drilling

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news...or-not-allowing-drilling-vote-2008-07-20.html

House Minority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) on Sunday strongly criticized Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) for not allowing a vote on a measure that would allow offshore drilling.

While acknowledging that Pelosi can prevent such a vote, Blunt said the Democratic leader would have to live with that decision, which he argued “does not make sense to the American people.”

“When we’re talking about offshore, we’re talking about 50, 100, 200 miles offshore,” Blunt said on CNN’s “Late Edition.” “Nobody's going to see that. This is an environmentally safe thing to do.”

Earlier in the program, Pelosi had stated in a pre-taped interview that she would not allow such a vote.

“We’re going to exhaust our other remedies in terms of increasing supply in America,” Pelosi said. When pressed on the issue, she added that she has “no plans” to allow such a vote.

Instead, she accused congressional Republicans of having blocked the Democrats’ initiatives to address the country’s energy problems and again called for opening the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to ease the cost at the pump.

“I think what you’ve got to realize here is by saying we should do that, you’re really admitting that supply makes a difference,” Blunt said. “That means we should be going after real supply, not what we’ve been able to hoard away.”

:flamemad::smsoap:

FordGuy said:
Am I allowed to call her A CUXTzilla, Or will Someone get pissed! Oh well!
:gonnablow

Sure go ahead. Won't bother me a bit.

You guys crack me up though. Seriously, is drilling on the North Slope going to elevate our current problems? Will gas prices ever return to less than $3.50 a gallon? No. The only thing we can really do is a massive government lead switch to solar power, biofuels, coal derived synthetic fuels and natural gas. The days of cheap crude oil and cheap gas are gone.

SBrad001 said:
Sure go ahead. Won't bother me a bit.

You guys crack me up though. Seriously, is drilling on the North Slope going to elevate our current problems? Will gas prices ever return to less than $3.50 a gallon? No. The only thing we can really do is a massive government lead switch to solar power, biofuels, coal derived synthetic fuels and natural gas. The days of cheap crude oil and cheap gas are gone.
They started talking about this last week and crude prices fell 15%. Sure we need to find better and more plentiful sources of energy but... The biggest reason we are paying out the nose is because of the speculation market. They even get a little bit of doubt going and the markets will crash. This needs to happen.

DrMoab said:
They started talking about this last week and crude prices fell 15%. Sure we need to find better and more plentiful sources of energy but... The biggest reason we are paying out the nose is because of the speculation market. They even get a little bit of doubt going and the markets will crash. This needs to happen.

The speculation market is part of the problem, but the biggest problem is that crude production has peaked and demand is still increasing. In another twenty years I don't think you will be able to buy gasoline or diesel that has been made with crude oil. But that's my opinion.

FordGuy said:
Am I allowed to call her A CUXTzilla, Or will Someone get pissed! Oh well!
:gonnablow
Punt with a capital "C"!

SBrad001 said:
The speculation market is part of the problem, but the biggest problem is that crude production has peaked and demand is still increasing. In another twenty years I don't think you will be able to buy gasoline or diesel that has been made with crude oil. But that's my opinion.
I agree with you, but until they do something to make it out of other stuff. We need to get it locally.

My biggest gripe is that we have enough to last us quite a while here. Why not use it? I hate the fact that we have to rely on countries that hate us to get something we(at the current time) can not live without.

DrMoab said:
I agree with you, but until they do something to make it out of other stuff. We need to get it locally.

My biggest gripe is that we have enough to last us quite a while here. Why not use it? I hate the fact that we have to rely on countries that hate us to get something we(at the current time) can not live without.

Reasonable enough, but try this one on.

It would be atleast 5 years, but more like 10 years, before that oil would it. In the same amount of time we could be investing in a viable alternative energy economy and have the frame work implemented. We would then be investing in our future economy instead of an old oil based economy.

SBrad001 said:
Reasonable enough, but try this one on.

It would atleast 5 years, but more like 10, before that oil would it. In the same amount of time we could be investing in a viable alternative energy economy and have the frame work implemented. We would then be investing in our future economy instead of an old oil based economy.
We need to do both.

Bent said:
We need to do both.

Yes we do, but I'm afraid that we will only get one of the options. And I'm afraid it'll be the drilling option. Which won't be any kind of investment in our future, just mistake by our politicians.

SBrad001 said:
Yes we do, but I'm afraid that we will only get one of the options. And I'm afraid it'll be the drilling option. Which won't be any kind of investment in our future, just mistake by our politicians.
You may be right. It is a shame in so many ways. We could have both but unless we are suffering it just won't happen.

SBrad001 said:

Cheap quick high output solution, allow the coal to lpg plants to also produce Diesel and gas directly, the plants are already set up for it. 180 BILLION Barrels of synthfuel in Montana alone.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/28742/montanas_coal_to_gas_conversion_proposal.html
That article was from 2006, the plants are ready to go, all they have to do is change the valve lineup. Feds are blocking it in court.

SBrad001 said:
How about we let the oil companies drill for oil. Then the rest of us can find a way to invest in the future. The free market WILL find a replacement for oil IF it is profitable. You can't force people to find solutions, capitalism will find a way.

"While acknowledging that Pelosi can prevent such a vote, Blunt said the Democratic leader would have to live with that decision, which he argued “does not make sense to the American people.”

Then what needs to happen is to educate the American people so they can make sense of the predicament. Off-shore drilling is a very, very small piece of the answer. It is a mid-term at best solution and only puts off the inevitable. I am NOT a fan of off-shore drilling having seen the destruction from the oil spill in Santa Barbara that led to the moratorium. I do acknowledge that the majority of major spills have been tankers.

and about Nancy living with that decision...don't worry she will still get re-elected. She may be the Speaker of the House, 3rd in line for Presidency, but she is only elected by the people in the north part of San Francisco and the south part of Marin counties. More Prius drivers per captia than any where else in the country.

Ironmen77 said:
How about we let the oil companies drill for oil. Then the rest of us can find a way to invest in the future. The free market WILL find a replacement for oil IF it is profitable. You can't force people to find solutions, capitalism will find a way.

Sorry, but I think that point of view is BS. Look at any war time footing that this nation has taken in the last 150 years. It takes a concerted effort for our economy to change this drastically.

If we wait for market forces to dictate this economic change, we, the average citizens, will pay the prices to line the pockets of rich industrialists and our economy will suffer waiting for the change to take place. But if the government allows vast taxes incentives for energy companies to research and develop a new energy infrastructure, we will all benefit.

SBrad001 said:
But if the government allows vast taxes incentives for energy companies to research and develop a new energy infrastructure, we will all benefit.

Tax incentives arent free. Who do you think pays for these tax incentives? R & D isnt free, who do you think pays for that? The answer to both those questions is ME (and you).
Lets go ahead and dril. Granted, it'll take a few years to get new wells and maybe even a new refinery on line but what else are we going to do with that time? We are too far from making any other for of power profitable right now. We've got to dig ourselves out of this hole before we start climbing.

crazyjim said:
Nancy Pelosi won't allow the House to vote on new offshore drilling

Yep, but the GOP had the run of the show for six straight years and did fukkawl.

I used to care, really I did. I was a literal flag-waving republican.

But they really are all the same. It doesn't matter. Some will say what you want to to hear. Others will say what the other guys want to hear.

And all of em will do exactly fukkawl.

Robert

Last edited:
If we would quit doing stupid shit like sending $900 million to Africa every year to fight AIDS, and giving all sorts of 3rd world countries aid....we'd have plenty of money to both drill AND research alternative energy sources.

The latest Economic Stimulus Package should go towards building new oil refineries, nuke plants, wind turbine fields, solar fields, etc. Have the gov't build them, then auction them off to corporations once they're built.

Robert 771 said:
Yep, but the GOP had the run of the show for six straight years and did fukkawl.

I used to care, really I did. I was a literal flag-waving republican.

But they really are all the same. It doesn't matter. Some will say what you want to to hear. Others will say what the other guys want to hear.

And all of em will do exactly fukkawl.

Robert

Because at the time, gas was $45-50 a barrel, and we never envisioned that once the Democrats took control, prices would triple :D

I honestly think we were holding on to our own oil so we could drain it all from the Muslims. Then they'd all die b/c their stupid ass countries over here have nothing else to offer the world....

Back