• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Staun Internal Beadlock Problems.

I know a few guys that run them. They seam to work, but you cant really drive to camp on them if you get a flat, the way it is advertised.

Its a bead lock, not a run-flat. Are they advertising it as a run-flat?

That being said, you certainly can drive on it, you can also drive on a plain old flat tire if you want. The advantage here would be that it is less likely to spin or pop off while doing so.

Now you'll say that it will ruin the tire doing so. Yes, so will every other run-flat out there. I dont know of any production run-flat system that does not ruin the tire after running it flat. The metal/rubber ones in the HMMWV destroys the tire, the high-end ones on current imports also kills the $400+ tire.

Dual bead lock = good
Run-flats = not so

There are better/simpler ways to bead-lock, but they get kinda pricey. Whats the security worth to you?

I run Stauns, and have had pretty good luck with them. I must say though, that it is very important to install them correctly. The powder that Staun supplies with each kit is not enough. Even the video they provide doesn't show enough powder being used on these parts. Go to Wally World and pick up the industrial size baby powder and turn any black things (the tube, the black edge on the beadlock casing) white with the powder. Then coat the rim and the rest of the bealock casing as well. Basically, when you think you have used enough powder on the beadlock casing, put some more on.

Everything has to slip and slide into position upon air-up, and the powder really helps it do that.

I use them with 33 12.50 16 Boggers and haven't had any operational issues to speak of. I run the tire at 4psi and could go lower if necessary. I use CO2 for airing and do get some bleed across over time. I usually check air every morning while wheeling.

I ended up mounting them by hand since every corporate tire store wouldn't touch them.

Would I buy them again? YES

I have Staun in two vehicles: XJ with 37" Krawlers and 406 Mog with 405/70R20 MPT80's. Xj runs well at 6psi. Makes a real nice tread pattern on the gound. Theoretically, 175 sq. in per tire (4000lb/6psi=~650/4=~175)

Mog at 12psi makes a real big foot print.

Staun locks both inner and outer beads. Thats nice. Original Stauns 2005 had a problem with air leakage around the valve stem. They had a bad subcontractor and replaced all free of charge. I had one bad out of eight beadlocks.

The US Rep Harry Lewellyn
Ph (949) 645 7733 Fax (949) 645 7738

is a real good guy and wants you to be happy. Tell Him I said so.

Wilson

There was a rig running Stauns in Pro Mod at CalRocs, Brown's Valley.

I thought he had a broken axleshaft or his rear ARB wasn't working, because his driver rear wasn't turning, but it turned out that the wheel was spinning inside the tire!

It was pretty cool to see.

The only other guy I've known to run them ended up installing them incorrectly, but had no way of knowing until he lost a bead. He runs Walkers now.

Andy in Pa. said:
Go to Wally World and pick up the industrial size baby powder and turn any black things (the tube, the black edge on the beadlock casing) white with the powder.

Agree with all Andy said except the baby part. Anything you find in the baby department is gonna be cornstarch, not talc.

Cornstarch looks like talc, and apparently baby likes it, but its a corn product and cooks like flour.

Talc on the other hand is an inert mineral and will look the same after cooking inside the tire as it did when you put it in. Can be found in the shaving area of the store, or search online for 100% pure talc.

Also, if you put a Staun in wrong, you know it. Of course, there is always someone out there who can screw up anything.

Back