• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Antifreeze in the ac system??

carose725

NAXJA Forum User
My ac doesnt blow the coldest so i bought a recharge kit. when i took the black cap off the low pressure line it appears there is green antifreeze in the system somehow(i released some of the pressure with a screwdriver and it sprayed the antifreeze). i notice the smell of antifreeze sometimes when i get out of my jeep but have never seen a leak. anybody got any info on this?? i searched but came up with nothing, and im not sure what to do about this

it's florescent dye to detect leaks, not antifreeze.

what color should the dye be. there were green and orange colors coming out of the low pressure line, and i have had both colors of colant in the radiator.

it should be green or orange, both would result in a brown color. I've never seen them come out separate.

most u/v dye is grteen/yello, some used in engine oil etc it brownish

The factory actually used two dyes, one in the AC and one in the coolant, both are UV dies. There really is no way for antifreeze to get in the AC system, they have no common parts, the evap and condenser are separate physical items unlike say the auto tranny cooler and the radiator or the engine oil and coolant where the head gasket is the common point.

alright thanks for the info. i diddnt think it was possible for it to get in there, but im new to jeeps, so im trying to get things figured out. im loosing coolant somewhre but its not dripping anywhere and its not going in the engine.

Check the passenger floorboard for wetness. How do you know it's not going into the engine?

no wet spots on the floorboards. and i use synthetic oil and it looks perfect still after 3500 miles. i can smell it when i get out of my jeep after longer drives or after driving on hot days.

What year is your XJ?

IIRC, '99 - '00 had issues with the head gaskets and coolant would slowly spray into the cylinders, mysteriously disappearing from the cooling system.

A bad radiator cap can allow back flow from the radiator into the overflow resevoir and evaporate that way as well.

Next time it's cold reach under the water pump nose and feel around under there, you will find a weep hole, about a 1/16" or so or look at a new one. Then after driving *carefully* reach under there AFTER turning the engine off and feel for coolant, thats usually where mysterious losses occur, just before the pump lets go :D :D :D

Back