• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering stabilizer.

beatassXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have tryed just about everything to get this thing off and cant even budge it. i reffered to this thread (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=901976&highlight=steering+stabilizer+install) and have the castled nut off but cant get the stud out for the life of me. i have heated the draglink with a mapp/oxygen torch and touched wax to it numerous times and hammered it so much that i f*cked up the threads. secondy i did the same to the knuckle side and my breaker bar wont even budge it. iv now soaked it for 2 days with liquid wrench and im totally stumped. the only think mentioned in that thread that i havent done is the puller because i dont have one....PLEASE HELP ME!

5lb worked for me, with alot of PB Blaster and then I put a pipe wrench on it with another piece of pipe on the handle and torqued it a couple times and it literally popped out. I screwed the threads up too (And my alignment)!

dude, lift the jeep up by the frame and let the axle droop, then its easy to take off all steering parts

bluejeepkid said:
dude, lift the jeep up by the frame and let the axle droop, then its easy to take off all steering parts
What frame? :D

I used the same puller that I use to remove pitman arms . Ya just have to put it on loosely and turn the puller so it has something to hang onto then tighten the snot out of it whack it a few places crank on it some more whack some more and eventually it comes off . It looks odd but it has worked on many TJs and now my XJ a couple days ago .

Last edited:
Had same problem with mine even tried propane Pb blaster bigger hammer after about 30\40 minute's finally popped off.Next time think I'll try a pittman arm puller.

Pickle Fork. Works every time with a Large Beating Device. Some PB, maybe some heat, use pickle fork and 3lb hammer. BTW Pickle Fork= Tie rod separating tool

We just had this problem a week ago on mine. The sleeve or bushing that runs thru the rubber/poly has frozen itself to the bolt. Thus you are trying to get the larger bushing thru a hole in the axle bracket that is only big enough to get the bolt thru. So... as much as you hate to do it, use a pickle fork as a pry tool under the head of the bolt and basically wreck the bracket to get the bolt/bushing out. Then once it's out just reshape the bracket as best you can then use a large washer head bolt on the replacement stabilizer.

Good Luck and watch those fingers!

Tried to use pickle fork and couldn't really get a good hit on the end of the tool.

jeep ride said:
Tried to use pickle fork and couldn't really get a good hit on the end of the tool.
Take a break and try some more.

Back